Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there something really wrong with my quilt??? >
  • Is there something really wrong with my quilt???

• Is there something really wrong with my quilt???

Old 07-01-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I really can't see that much detail from the pictures -

but a question you might ask yourself -

"If I had paid someone else to make this quilt for me, would I have been satisfied with it?"
    I would never ship a quilt to a customer unless the answer is "yes". I would never be able to sleep at night otherwise :-) I believe you can't have a successful small shop/business if you don't have such ethic.
    Old 07-01-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I have never had threads come out after I have washed a quilt.
    Bearisgray, somebody was kind enough to explain me that since English is my second language, I didn't explained myself correctly. The threads coming out from the wash I was talking about are not threads from the quilting stitches, but all the loose threads caught under the quilt, fraying of the edges of the fabric and such. Most of them end up in the lint catcher, but some are just showing between seams. I just pull them, they are typically less than a half inch long and are attached to nothing.
    Old 07-01-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by yolajean
    I'm so sorry that you are having these issues. Quilting for someone else, I believe, is tricky. Most non quilters have no idea of what goes into making a quilt. Your quilt really looks beautiful. I FMQ my own quilts on my DM. For the life of me, I am unable to get equal length stitches. However, laundering the quilt pretty much disguises those unequal stitches. Using different fabrics, I believe, would also be difficult. I have also had some quilters who work in shops be very judgemental and critical of almost everything. You have stumbled into a really difficult situation. I do agree that I would have her send the quilt back to you so that you may see what you can do to correct any open seams and bury threads. I have also found that with a quilt this large, it is easy to miss tales on the backside. Good luck!
    I remember seeing in Angela Walter's book (a quilter I love and admire) that her stitches were mostly uneven. She was explicitly saying in her book something like: I don't have a stitch regulator on my quilting machine and I don't care if the stitch length is not the same. You shouldn't either (this is not an exact quote, just my interpretation of her words). This was enlightening! This was the exact moment when I stopped worrying about this and decided to challenge myself with more intricate design. My customers seems to prefer to have uneven length stitches feathers guided by hand rather than perfect even stitches feathers made by a computer. Good for me, because this is really a matter of preference. Of course I try to improve my skills (there is some design I have done so often that my stitches are now almost perfect looking) but I don't restrain myself to try something new just because it won't be perfect.
    Old 07-01-2018, 09:17 AM

You seem to have found your way through this and are awaiting a reply.

Another option might have been to explain that 5 of the 7 "problems" were purely esthetic and for the other two, just to ask the customer what she would like you to do to make it right. Be prepared with options, as the customer usually doesn't know what they want, they just know they are upset.
    If you involve them from the first, it makes it seem like the ultimate fix was their idea and makes it much more likely that they will be satisfied with the solution.
    Just an idea from years of Customer Service work.

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 07-01-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 AM

I've followed this thread from the beginning, but have not commented, mainly because I don't LA or have a business, and don't feel qualified to offer advice. I do want to say that I am so impressed with your grace and composure, and absolute dedication and determination to satisfy your customer. Your answers to all have been thoughtful, precise, and respectful. The board members have also offered constructive critique, which I have learned from. You have set a very high standard for yourself and your business, and for that you should be very proud!!
    Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
    You seem to have found your way through this and are awaiting a reply.

Another option might have been to explain that 5 of the 7 "problems" were purely esthetic and for the other two, just to ask the customer what she would like you to do to make it right. Be prepared with options, as the customer usually doesn't know what they want, they just know they are upset.
    If you involve them from the first, it makes it seem like the ultimate fix was their idea and makes it much more likely that they will be satisfied with the solution.
    Just an idea from years of Customer Service work.

Watson
    Thank you for this excellent advice, I'll keep in in mind. I've also observed that customers feel much better when they are being offered options. They feel less powerless, more in control of the situation.
    Old 07-01-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb
    I've followed this thread from the beginning, but have not commented, mainly because I don't LA or have a business, and don't feel qualified to offer advice. I do want to say that I am so impressed with your grace and composure, and absolute dedication and determination to satisfy your customer. Your answers to all have been thoughtful, precise, and respectful. The board members have also offered constructive critique, which I have learned from. You have set a very high standard for yourself and your business, and for that you should be very proud!!
    How nice of you! Thank you for your kind words. I'll keep them preciously in store to feel better on a bad day :-)
    Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Hmm, so the orange peels are not appliquéd down.....my head is foggy today, can you explain how you, got that look? Or pattern source? I'm missing something here...thanks
    Old 07-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Hmm, so the orange peels are not appliquéd down.....my head is foggy today, can you explain how you, got that look? Or pattern source? I'm missing something here...thanks
    Geri, you are not the first quilter who got tricked by this model. I think you know this block as it's an old one but may never have seen it done this way. Here's a sample made with EQ7. You'll see the sewing line better and I alternated the colors to make the shape more visible. You only need a template or a die to cut the star shape and half petal sashing. Of course, it's curved piecing, so not the easiest block to do :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596947[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails quilt2.jpg  
    Old 07-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Geri B, there is a difference in the construction of the two blocks 'Orange Peel' and 'Robbing Peter to Pay Paul.' Orange Peel is often appliqued onto background squares that are all of the same color, while Robbing Peter to Pay Paul is often pieced, many times in two opposing colors. Depending on what colors are used, and where, you can make RPTPP look like OP. Or, I suppose, if piecing a split peel, you could make OP look like RPTPP. In the EQ7 example shown, if they were OP blocks, then they would be set on point.