Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 AM

Another idea, several years ago, my car was stolen due to my dd trusting the wrong kind of people. I was so mad and hurt. So I gave it over to God and forgot about it. Yep, two years later I get a call from the police they found my car in Florida.

First thing I did was to thank God he gave it back to me. My dd has taken care of that car now on 3 years and restored my faith in her.

Moral, give your hurt etc. to God and let him carry the burden. The quilts will love you for it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM

There are so many people that are clueless. They have no idea how wonderful it is to receive a gift that is made with love in each stitch. I won't even get started on the quality of the work. Yes, you could go buy a complete set, made in China. Keep on quilting and consider the source. Remember you can't fix stupid!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM

We could all tell stories like this. At least my husband knows who much time and money goes into a quilt. I made a t-shirt quilt for a granddaughter. She won;t talk to me again because she didn;t like it. I was so proud of it. I put so much heart and soul into that quilt. Her loss. Never again will i make her a quit.

I keep my granddaughters quilts at my house because their mother destroys any and all that I give them. They love them get them out and look at them whenever they are at my house.

I have a stepson that is the same way. He sent me color chips to make him a quilt and it was on their bed ten minutes and then on the floor. A thank you??????? well we all have them.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM

I, too, have a SIL who has a mouth that is usually working 10 paces ahead of her brain. She is an "interior designer" and said that she would never recommend a homemade quilt to her clients. I told her I hope her clients are smarter than she is!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

I am sorry you had to experience that sort of a reaction from someone close to you. I started quilting when I was first diagnoses with leukemia in 1975 and have made hundreds of quilts since. My children would stand next to me while I sewed, quilted and wrapped quilts to give to others. They would give me the highest honor by finding fabrics they thought would make beautiful quilts or by saying, "mom, I want one just like that. Each of them have over 20 quilts!!!! Will they use them? OF COURSE!!!!!!

On the other hand, when my daughter was born, I made a Strawberry Patch quilt for my MIL and she never even found the surprise in it because she never toook it out of the box. I had embroidered all of the names and birthdates of her grandchildren. When she died, we found it in a corner of one of the closets, still in the box, wrapped in the tissue I had wrapped it in. So sad. She never got it either.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM

I had a relative like SIL. I save all rec, that I spend on a quilt,fabs,threads,pattern if bought,batting,backing. I keep the time and I used 10$/hr( hve since gone to 15.One time it was so convinient to show all this. No need to tell the expression on her face (she wanted this quilt and said my price was waaaaaay to much) The tab one this one was more than a thousand $. I forgot to tell you there was lots of hand embroidery and silk ribbon emb on this on. Now her ? is always how much did this one cost.....lol
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM

i would have said something ..Most people would have spent money on the gift and I take that money to buy the fabric and then spend hours working on it. it's a gift of love.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

As they say in Alanon " You're entitled to your opinion". I don't worry about what anyone says anymore!!
But I do care that it hurt your feelings. People are so clueless.
Move on :D
Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM

I make a quilt for all my nieces and nephews when they marry. There are 16 of them! Then I make a quilt for the great nieces and nephews when they are born...last count 15 and one on the way.
I don't have a lot of time for "me" quilts anymore. Sometimes I am sorry I started the tradition. But most of them love the quilts and use them so I will keep making them. Maybe they will say something nice at my funeral one day!
My daughter made the comment that "I am sure that I should give a "gift" that can't be returned if they don't like it?!!!? "
I explained I could give a gift certificate, money, coffee pot etc..but hopefully one day they will all appreciate the quilts. Then I went to my nephew's house and saw where they use the quilt daily and keep it on the back of their couch. They said they actually fight over it at tv time! Just that one thing makes me so glad I'm a quilter and I share my love of quilts with all of them!
And if these nieces and nephews would quit getting pregnant I am making that nephew an extra quilt so they don't have to fight over the one quilt anymore!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM

These notes made me feel better. My DIL folded a quilt that I gave her for Christmas one year and left it in my sewing room, not only was I hurt but felt that my work must be inferior.