Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just got back from Wal-Mart... >

just got back from Wal-Mart...

just got back from Wal-Mart...

Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM

They recently remodled both the stores in the Milwaukee WI area and we discontinued the fabric, and now only have a small craft area.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM

My local WalMart says that when they remodel they, too, will be closing the fabric department. We also lost our 3 area Hancock Fabric stores back when they closed so many, so all we have are several LQS and one Jo Ann's. Oh, there are also two Hobby Lobbies which carry some fabric, but I've never purchased there. Get most of my quilting fabric online.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I live in Cape MO & both walmarts took out material & thread we have only hancock fabric & 2 quilt stores but material is expensive there.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:43 PM

We have two Wal-Marts, one within five miles that has been here several years that still stocks fabric and a new one seven miles away. The new one is a much larger store, but there is no fabric department! Hancock closed in our town several years ago and so did JoAnne. There is a JoAnne in Knoxville, about twenty miles away. Is sewing becoming a dying art? My machine would be the first thing I rescued in case of a house fire - can't live without it.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
prm

MY COMMUNITY SPOKE LOUD ENOUGH, MADE AN ISSUE OF IT IN THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER AND THE FABRIC DEPARTMENT STAYED. IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS SLOWLY GETTING SMALLER AND THE QUALITY OF MANY OF THE FABRICS IS ALSO DIMINISHING.
PRM
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM

There are several W M within 25 miles of here, three have taken out the fabric dept. already. I went in and told them 'If it weren't for the fabrics I wouldn't come here at all.
I don't always buy fabric, but when there, but I usually wind up & shoot my wad anyway. "
Let them put that in their pipe and smoke it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM

I really wonder if everyone speaks loudly enough if it would have made a difference here in my home town. We had bunches of people to call the main office and who knows how many talked to the past manager and the new one, but it seems to no avail. They have only some precut 2 yd. material, and nothing anyone could use for quilts, or any adult garments maybe for some child's dress or something like that. We tried and tried to get them to keep ours open, but no luck. They closed the fabric section in one of the WalMarts In Odessa and are supposed to close the one in the other store (WalMart) within the year, in a town with over 100,000 population where we must go to now just to get any kind of fabric, or sewing needs. They have closed the fabric dept. down in at least four other stores around here, with pop. of about 100,000. They also closed the fab. dept. down in the one where my son lives between San Antonio and Austin, Tx. there is at least 75,000 or more in his town. He lives about 8 hours from me. I hope you get really lucky and get to keep your fabric Dept. Keep after them, maybe they will keep yours open. Good Luck.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Damaquilts, I wish you would put in a good word for all of the rest of us and suggest that perhaps your Ace/Ben Franklin, expand and move to some other states and do the same as they have done there. I think they could certainly stay in business. After our Walmart starting their ""remodeling"" really a great big mess and nothing better, just moved the fabric and jewelery dept. out, can't even get a watch battery now. As I stated before about all the area ones closing around us, and the nearest lqs is over 100 miles from us. We are way out in West Texas.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I think if the community speaks loud enough, WalMart will keep the fabric dept in that community.
I think that's what happened at our local WM when they did their remodel...the manager of the fabric dept. told her customers to get a form from customer service and write to headquarters complaining about the possible closing of the fabric dept. and that WM had the most reasonable place to shop for fabric when it came to school projects, etc. The department is smaller, but at least it's still there!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM

I had just told myself the other day, "No more fabric. NO more quilt stores, for a while!" I have too many projects and too little cash! Then my DH took me on another adventure to another quilt shop, that is going out of business and was having a 55% off sale! Need I say more.....:)
Originally Posted by Dina
After reading all the posts that say Wal-Mart is going out of the fabric business, I made a point of going by the fabric dept. here and asking. I got the same message....they are not going out of the fabric business at this Wal-Mart. I wonder if they are just not being told?

At any rate, even though I did not need any fabric and even though I told myself just yesterday that from now on I would not buy fabric unless I had a project in mind, I bought ten pieces. Seven are purple and three are turquoise. No, I don't have patterns in mind, though I know there is a purple quilt in my future. (I asked about purple quilts here recently and found many many wonderful ideas!! I just haven't settled on one yet.)

I didn't find any fantastic sales or anything, but I had a good time. :)