Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM

I got my dress at JCPenny also.. on sale after new years and spent $20.00!! The bride suggested the color and I went for itand loved it.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM

My dtr is getting married in September and I was all over the internet looking for reasonably priced dresses. The local shops were way expensive, but I did find some good websites that were fairly reasonable:

www.therosedress.com
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM

My dtr is getting married in September and I was all over the internet looking for reasonably priced dresses. The local shops were way expensive, but I did find some good websites that were fairly reasonable:

www.therosedress.com
www.bestbridalplaces.com
www.fashionbridalgown.com

Also, check out JC Penny's website, they also had some nice dresses that were reasonably priced. You might also try some of the local bridal shops and see if anyone in your area rents dresses, like the tux's for the guys.

Good luck and blessings on the bride and groom.

Carol :lol:
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Dee

2 yrs. ago I had the same problem when DS got married. The bride chose a lite blue dress color at $400.00. Her father is a mayor. So it was very elaborate. All I could think of was all the fabric I could of bought for that. DS paid for the dress and hubby's tux. What size do you need?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM

find out what colors she is using any color that tones . (color wheel comes handy for this one)I have done over 300 weddings sounds like it will be formal formal so a calf legnth to floor . no flowers that stand out no stripes
find your undergarments first. your sizes change ..
your dress shoes and last jewelry. less is more.
just email if you need more info.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM

I bought my dress at Fashion Bug for 25.00 Bride wanted us in Black so I'm able to wear it often and after 10 years it still fits and I still wear the dress.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM

I've been MOB on two occasions. Both times I bought my dresses from clearance online, paying $70 for each. I bought one from Chadwicks.com, also try ColdwaterCreek.com (clearance sections!). I don't wear sleeveless or low front, low back dresses which makes it harder for me to find things. But generally have had good luck with online clearance.

Oh, and also try on your shoes before the day! I bought this gorgeous pair of shoes online and the morning of the wedding put them on for the first time...they fit, but kept falling off my feet. As you can see in the picture, I'm wearing black strappy sandal shoes I borrowed from my daughter!

$70 Coldwater Creek clearance dress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74559[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74554.jpe  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I buy a lot of good labels through vintage or recycle boutiques, lots of great, timeless designs and quality fabrics. So that may be a worthwhile idea if you have one in your area.

One thing I have noticed when reading the replies to this thread is that it seems some people's family members are not backward in coming forward regarding telling others what to wear. Since when did the matriachs of any family need dressing tips from young ones or the in-laws? One of the fabulous things about being a grown-up is with maturity you develop your own sense of style and colour. If we love our children enough to attend (and usually pay for) their weddings, should they not respect their parents clothing choices?

Sorry for the rant...but honestly, this is a quilting site, quilts are art, colour, design...surely those things are also reflected in other elements of quilters lives?

Wear what suits you, what you feel comfortable in and by no means does that mean "unglamorous" nor should you dress down for anyone. The bride always shines...it is her special day, so just relax and happy shopping.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM

You do not have to wear beige! The formality of the dress depends on the time of day and type of wedding. You may not have to wear a long dress unless you want to. After you find out what color the MOB is wearing, all other colors are fair game. Check sales, consignment shops, etc. One easy way would be a long skirt and a dressy top. Don't stress over it, everyone will be looking st the bride and groom any way. Enjoy yourself.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Up North,
I have the dress my MIL wore at her 2nd wedding..long story... she gave it to me but I don't look good in mauvy-purple...dd is too young for it...I think it's size 12 from JC Penney's If you want it, it's yours.