Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 PM

[When asked by a friend what she would do with her original dress, she grinned and replied, “I’m wearing it to the rehearsal dinner!”]

I LOVE IT
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I think you should ask your husband which color he likes you to wear. What does he like you to wear when you are out? Only 2 colors are completly out are black and white.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM

You would be surprised at how many people are wearing black to weddings now. I would rather have done that but my DD wanted to coordinate with her colors. The grooms mother wore black. My MOTHER who told me black was inappropriate for a wedding wore it. It wasn't fair. :hunf: I could have coordinated with everyone else. I'm not real comfortable in bright colors.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Jennifer’s big formal wedding was fast approaching and she was delighted to hear that her Mom, Sheila, emerging from a nasty divorce, had finally found the perfect mother-of-the-bride dress.

Two days later, she was shocked to learn that her new young stepmother, Fawn, had purchased the same dress.

She asked her stepmother to buy another dress since her Mom had already altered her purchase. Fawn refused.

After two more weeks of frustrating shopping, Sheila found a dress that was not as nice as the first, but would serve.

When asked by a friend what she would do with her original dress, she grinned and replied, “I’m wearing it to the rehearsal dinner!”
TOUCHE'
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Earthwalker, when you talked about not letting the young people tell you what to wear I really had to laugh. I am what we describe as "color challenged" and am trying to find the right side of my brain. I never shop alone. :lol: If left on my own, I'd wear jeans (I might iron them for a formal occasion and offer to wear a silk shirt instead of an acid-holed t-shirt). I figured that it was my daughter's wedding and she could decide how flashy she wanted me to look (It was flashy to my mind, I would never wear 4 inch heals otherwise!) I just decided that I would rather have them pick out something that they'd later decide looked bad. Then I could blame them. I was the "Cool Mom" in the awesome dress. :thumbup:
Can you guess which one is me?
Labfairy....methinks you are "hiding your light under a bushel"...where do you think that daughter of yours got her looks and good taste! Gorgeous pic. thanks for sharing.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 AM

[quote=Tabby235]find out what colors she is using any color that tones . (color wheel comes handy for this one)I have done over 300 weddings sounds like it will be formal formal so a calf legnth to floor . no flowers that stand out no stripes
find your undergarments first. your sizes change ..
your dress shoes and last jewelry. less is more.
just email if you need more info.[/quote

The girls dresses are a pretty lavender, he mom is going with floor length so I would like to do that too. I will have to get my color wheel out nut I think something light but not beige will work.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 AM

How about french blue? Strong, not pastel and pretty without being OTT.
If the MOB is wearing the dress in the earlier post, she is going way over the top IMHO. maybe this one?
http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModClo...It+Seams+Dress
www.modcloth.com have great vintage style clothes, that are just beautifully made, and limited numbers.
or this one? http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModClo...Just+the+Dress or this one
http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModClo...Lengths?page=5
Lab Fairy -that is a beautiful dress.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 AM

You guys are all being so helpful! I appreciate it more than I can say, I do want to wear a long dress and I have a selfish reason!! LOL I never got to be a bridesmaid so I want to look pretty, If we go out I wear jeans, rarely do we go anywhere (never) fancy!! We are casual most of the time. This will be a chance to show hubby and sons that mom can look nice! The dress her mom chose is just the style she wants not necessarily THE dress, and she will choose a different color. This is her only daughter so it will be special for her too. I have 5 sons so have to count on DDIL to let me get dolled up! LOL When my first son got married it was backyard, garage reception very small I wore a grey outfit and my boys all wore grey shirts and tan pants. The bridesmaid didn't hem her dress but pinned it up (?) The brides dress was simple. That marriage did not last, He now is engaged to a very sweet gal that wants a simple beach wedding. so probably sundress type for her. DS #1 is 37 and it is not looking like a wedding there, Middle son has a steady GF but they are both full time college students so that one will be a while. And I imagine it will be a small wedding also. So it is my chance to be pretty for me!! I'm selfish sometimes!!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 AM

If that is the case (and you are not being selfish, you are taking an opportunity to make your self feel good), I would go to the McCalls/Vogue website and look at the patterns, get some fabric you love (you are a quilter - how hard can that be) and have some one make you something you love, that is just for you. The Vogue section has a body type matching shape - look for the four shapes, it will tell you which one will suit your body shape. I am thinking silk, floaty, with sparkly bits. . . .
Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
If that is the case (and you are not being selfish, you are taking an opportunity to make your self feel good), I would go to the McCalls/Vogue website and look at the patterns, get some fabric you love (you are a quilter - how hard can that be) and have some one make you something you love, that is just for you. The Vogue section has a body type matching shape - look for the four shapes, it will tell you which one will suit your body shape. I am thinking silk, floaty, with sparkly bits. . . .
Silky floaty with sparkly bits!! You got it!! And I may have to sew it, But I can do that!!