Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Anyone have any good tips on dresses for Mother of the groom? I know I need to wait for The brides mom to choose her style and color looks like it will be long Ok do far so good, Now I can not afford $250.00 dollars for a dress at the bridal shop, any one have an inexpensive website they have found? HELP!! I need ideas. I was reading etiquette and it says Mothers of the Groom should "show up, shut up, and wear beige!! LOL Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I jokingly told my MIL that funny quote and she didn't get it.
But humor isn't a big thing with her LOL :D
I said it referring to ME when one of my 3 sons decides to get married. She went on to tell me all the dress colors she wore to her sons weddings, except for ours- which was hideous- maybe she conveniently forgot??? hehe
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I jokingly told my MIL that funny quote and she didn't get it.
But humor isn't a big thing with her LOL :D
I saw it repeated in several different places it just makes me laugh, I can do the show up but probably not the other two!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a salvation army, goodwill or thrift store near you? It can't hurt to go look. I have seen beautiful clothes there and sometimes dresses with tags still on them form retail stores.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM

I did see one I loved in my size yesterday at Salvation Army Resale store but the Bride is going with lilac and it was a dark color, I would rather not stick out like a sore thumb!! LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Donna, I would also check ebay. You never know.
I'm still waiting by the way............. :D So I have no experience being dressed up as the groom's Mom!!! Good luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM

I got to do it once before but it was a backyard wedding 400 miles from home with a small family reception I wore grey but I really want to get dressy for this one. I have e bay blocked as when my son was 14 he did his Christmas shopping and tried to buy himself a snowmobile from e bay managed to catch everything but a poster he ordered. He found our credit card statement and used the number! Had a few angry sellers but sorry!! He was in trouble for quite a while around here!!
So no E bay for me!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

When our 2 Son's got married, I told them & their future bride that I would not spend a fortune on a dress that would be worn once. The brides picked their color, the Mom of the bride chose hers & I went by that to pick mine. I blended well but was different from the Mom of the bride. I started searching Consignment Shops. Finally found one marked way down at Dillard's for the last DS's wedding. Or you could get a pattern & have a dress made. First Son that got married, I was able to cut the skirt off to knee level and wore the dress twice after that.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have no clue what to wear or even where to start looking. I may end up making something. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Anyone have any good tips on dresses for Mother of the groom? I know I need to wait for The brides mom to choose her style and color looks like it will be long Ok do far so good, Now I can not afford $250.00 dollars for a dress at the bridal shop, any one have an inexpensive website they have found? HELP!! I need ideas. I was reading etiquette and it says Mothers of the Groom should "show up, shut up, and wear beige!! LOL Any help would be appreciated.
I did buy the beige...and hated it (took it back, and bought what I really liked instead!). Hey, these days they are using black and red wedding dresses (GASP!). So, I figure, I can LIKE my dress! I have used it on four occasions since... The beige would have gone to the thrift store immediately! Actually, I ASKED fellow shoppers about the beige and 100% unanimous, they all advised against it (on me). I was dutiful, and bought it anyway...husband agreed, not for me, so returned next day! I wore navy (bleu is for boys-right?) instead. It was the prettiest dress I've ever had, except my wedding dress...but NOT flash whatsoever!