Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Jennifer’s big formal wedding was fast approaching and she was delighted to hear that her Mom, Sheila, emerging from a nasty divorce, had finally found the perfect mother-of-the-bride dress.

Two days later, she was shocked to learn that her new young stepmother, Fawn, had purchased the same dress.

She asked her stepmother to buy another dress since her Mom had already altered her purchase. Fawn refused.

After two more weeks of frustrating shopping, Sheila found a dress that was not as nice as the first, but would serve.

When asked by a friend what she would do with her original dress, she grinned and replied, “I’m wearing it to the rehearsal dinner!”
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM

I have seen that before I think it sis so funny! But I will not do that to my sons Fiancee
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Not knowing how dressy MOB will go, it is hard to suggest. But as this is the end of summer, I would think you could find long summer dresses on sale most anyplace, and not go real expensive. When two of my sons got married, I made my outfit. One was at Xmas and I wore a black long sheath dress with a silver jacket. MOB wore a long black skirt and cream blouse. ( I looked better!!LOL) For other wedding in July, I made myself a cream ,with gold design , silk skirt and jacket.Very classy. Guess what I'm saying is, buy what looks nice for you, or make your own, blend in , just don't stand out ! At my daughters wedding, we were all in pastel yellow and greens, long dresses, and the MOG showed up in a short red suit.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Donna, I can't believe your ebay fiasco! But you won't believe this- one of MY sons warned ME about ebay. He said "Mom, be careful b/c I know how you are about fabric shopping"
LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Listen, there is not one thing with ckng online for. "NWT from smokeless home with no pets." I've inquired after exact measurements using an actual tape measure, and never once been disappointed. I have not done it for a few years...but found some things on a few occasions. I do tailoring though, so know my specific needs pretty well...easier maybe than for some. I've found some Co.s which cut their patterns with my big-ol-butt in mind! LOL It is so much easier to find off-the-rack clothes which FIT these days. Could not in '70s, reason HAD to take up sewing back then...skinny as a rail and 5'9" THEN, NOT now!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I did see one I loved in my size yesterday at Salvation Army Resale store but the Bride is going with lilac and it was a dark color, I would rather not stick out like a sore thumb!! LOL
IF blue undertones, sounds very feasible to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 AM

I will try to attaqch a picture of her moms 1'st choice let me know if you think the one I picked out is to clashy, I can go with a different color but do not know what color she is choosing yet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75859.jpe  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM

You can always go to one of the bridal shops and look at the end of season bridesmaid or mother of bride dresses. Many of them have great end of season sales and prices.
Carol B
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I will try to attaqch a picture of her moms 1'st choice let me know if you think the one I picked out is to clashy, I can go with a different color but do not know what color she is choosing yet.
LOVELY! Love the color too...This would be a lovely wedding gown.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM

I didn't know there were rules for the MOG - you can't really go wrong with a neutral color and dress it up with accessories or a nice little jacket....