Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Sorry I was a 14 but am now an 8-10 don't ask how, I do not know!! I am thinking anything tight in the tummy is probably a bad idea unless it is REAL tight!!LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM

I have a couple of lovely dress you are welcome to, but not sure the color would be good. Also need the size, I think these are 10 or 12......Michele
One is peach the other is hard to describe, it's like a cross between a peach & beige......Michele
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I love these stories!! I need a stepmother of the groom dress, fall colors. Daughter-in-law to be told me that the mother of the groom is driving her crazy...wants to wear a Spring color because it looks good on her (September wedding). I want to look classy and appropriate and great! Pretty tall order!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by emt2004
I have a couple of lovely dress you are welcome to, but not sure the color would be good. Also need the size, I think these are 10 or 12......Michele
One is peach the other is hard to describe, it's like a cross between a peach & beige......Michele
Can you post pictures of them? I amy be will wing to purchase them or at least one of them.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM

I used to work at a bridal shop. There really are no rules for chosing a dress. When my son got married, mom of the bride wore a short dress and I wore a long one. We both looked nice and were comfortable in our choices. We both agreed that people were looking at the bride and groom..not us.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM

That is one reason I do not want to stand out but I do want a nice dress as I don't get that chance very often, more like never!! I want to be as elegant as the MOB but not quite so outstanding. I do like glitz and glitter tho!! Call me Stuck up I guess!!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM

You might try a rental place. They are popping up all over. I wore two dresses last year (actually the only two in the last 10 years). One to each of my childrens wedding. My daughter picked out the bright orangey-red one for hers and I had to wait until two weeks before son's wedding for DIL's mother to get her act together. I finally MADE my DIL come with me to approve the dress which ended up being a plum color. I'm rarely allowed to shop alone because I'll come home with a pair of jeans and a new t-shirt. You should have seen the walking lessons my daughter gave me so I could wear the heels she picked out.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I think that any nice dress that fits you well, looks good on you, and meets the decorum of the situation would be just fine. It can be a stressful day and the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable. Most of the department stores have nice evening/formal wear that won't break the bank.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM

I'm glad that this thread was started, Up North. My youngest is getting married at the end of October.

Last year when her twin brother married at the end of July, I bought my dream dress and felt like a million dollars. I did not outshine the MOB and hubby was real proud of me.

With health problems, I have gained weight and have not lost enough pounds IMHO so I have easily put off shopping.
Daughter has suggested a coral color as it looks great on me. Shops in the U.P. stated they wouldn't have fall items until July or so. Wedding will be in late morning with reception to follow immediately so sparkly IMHO does not feel appropriate...as it had last year.

Mother of the Groom has found a lovely dress and weeks ago I told her to go ahead and purchase it with my blessing. It is a sage green with "tulip" hem. Do you know what a tulip hem is???

We are all spread out: Washington, D.C.; New York State; and Michigan. Wedding is to be in Virginia about 50 miles from D.C.

I am going to take the suggestions on this thread and run at the end of this month. You have inspired me to get with the program and feel good about myself. Thank you!!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM

I would make it myself but if you don't sew apparel this might not be the time to start :-). I think JcPenney's has nice semi-formal mother of the groom type dresses and they usually aren't that expensive. When got married I bought my MIL her dress I knew she didn't have the income and was looking at something (already in her closet and old) I wouldn't want in the wedding pictures LOL I was young then. But I also wanted her to feel that she was included and that it was her son's day too. I would ask the bride what she would like to see you wearing what color, length, style that would be a good time to also let her know you can't really afford a $250 dress I'm sure she'll understand.