Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM

I have a beautiful beige Mother of the Groom dress. It has a lot of sparkle and It worked out very well. The brides maids wore periwinkle and because they were having problems finding a dress for the mother of the bride and I had to travel, it worked out great.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi Donna, gotta second the option of looking at secondhand stores, especially for something you're not going to wear all the time. Found my friend a lovely pale green tea-length shift with a jacket for $5 for her daughters wedding. Are you sure you'd be so conspicuous in the dark one you saw? Good luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM

I have time but for some reason became obsessed this week about this! I really have to wait for MOB to choose a color but I am looking more for the type of style right now. I am so out of the loop!!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Anyone have any good tips on dresses for Mother of the groom? I know I need to wait for The brides mom to choose her style and color looks like it will be long Ok do far so good, Now I can not afford $250.00 dollars for a dress at the bridal shop, any one have an inexpensive website they have found? HELP!! I need ideas. I was reading etiquette and it says Mothers of the Groom should "show up, shut up, and wear beige!! LOL Any help would be appreciated.
Biggest mistake of my life waiting for mother of the bride to get her dress. I wanted a plain simple two piece dress that I could wear forever. Au contraire - (you can see I am still bitter about the whole darn thing) - dusty rose - redheads do not wear dusty rose - Mine was a shorter dress (below knees), her mother's was a gown. Where does it say that a Mother of the Groom has to show up shut up and wear beige. I ended up getting my dress at a second hand shop (her recommendation), because she picked it out (and "if you lose a few pounds, you should be able to fit into it"). ($50.00 back in 1994 - I put it in a shoe box after the wedding - ended up in a little ceremony by myself burning the dress on the back sidewalk). I rue the day I let her get away with it. That was back in 1994 - the marriage never lasted (I wonder why?). I'll interject here a little bit - they (family of the bride) thought we would plan a fancy dinner for the grooms dinner. Ha ha! We had a barbeque catered by one of the best barbeque "cookers" in St. Paul, I made the coleslaw myself, I made the potato salad myself. I bought everything barbeque - it was held in the atrium of the church. Everyone had a ball! Nice and noisy, chatter all over the place, they were able to go back for sec onds and everything. Did all the desserts myself. That was the huge success and I think the bride's side of the family's nose was out of joint. Our son is happily married now for almost 13 years. Don't do what I did. You dress in what you want to wear - color coordinated - that's fine - but you wear what you want to wear and what you are most comfortable in. Best of luck to you and just remember, if it wasn't for you and your husband bringing you son into the world, she wouldn't have your son, which makes you just as important as her mother - Don't ever forget that! The old lady speaketh! Edie
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by Up North
I will try to attaqch a picture of her moms 1'st choice let me know if you think the one I picked out is to clashy, I can go with a different color but do not know what color she is choosing yet.
LOVELY! Love the color too...This would be a lovely wedding gown.
I was going to say the same thing - wedding dress. I think someone is trying to upstage someone - Poor daughter~
Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 AM

I would think that you could wear what makes you comfortable as long as it's not flashy, or the opposite...you don't want to look like you're in mourning either!
What color are the groomsmen wearing? You can "match" (not an exact match, but you know what I mean) them...making it obvious that you're the mother of the groom...
Macy's has some beautiful things, and if you catch their sales or clearances, you can get better prices than Walmart!! Check out TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less, and those types of stores too...name brands at awesome prices!

No matter what you wear, I'm sure that you're going to be beautiful and appropriate! Hey! How about a quilted skirt? :lol:
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 AM

Oh a quilted skirt!! Yea right!!LOL The groomsmen are wearing black with lavender vests as far as I know. Her dress is very pretty, laces up the back, beads and sparkles on the top a little fuller skirt with gathers making it look kind of puffy. I do not want to go purple as it isn't my color at all and my son loves the turquoise. I will wait to see what color her mom chooses.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 AM

Could you make the dress yourself. It would surely be less expensive (depending on the fabric and sale) and you could find a easy-to-do pattern (which are quick to make). Just a suggestion. I will also try the consignment or Goodwill, etc. Good luck
Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 AM

A friend of mines son got married recently and she found a beautiful dress at Coldwater Creek. I'm not sure if they are located everywhere, but they do have an online catalog.
It was not terribly expensive and just dressy enough for the wedding-very classy.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 AM

JCPenney has some lovely dresses that you can get a decent prices when sales are going on.