Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by trif
Okay, so I entered a quilt in this year's local fair. I did not enter a spectacular quilt, just a cute fun quilt with no plans to come home with a ribbon. I only wanted to be able to say "look, I made that, and it's displayed at the fair!". I was completely aware that not all quilts would be hung on a wall, as previous years , some were presented over racks, chairs etc.. This year however as you will see in my first picture, several were folded and placed into cubbies, yes that's right, folded up!!! You couldn't even see the quilts! The one next to mine in a cubby even won a ribbon and was folded with just the name on the outside, uuuuhhhgggg. I was so sad! :( My family and friends went with me to see my quilt. Well I have attatched photo's to share with you what my quilt looks like, since the fair goers will never see it. Oh, and my sweet hubby, waited til I was not home and contacted the person in charge of the quilts and made surwe they realized how sad it is for us to see out quilts folded up when we entered them to be viewed. (he does not like it when someone makes me sad, Im a very happy person). Well, I feel better sharing my experience with my quilt friends, I new you would listen and understand.
You are not alone. The same thing happened to my sister several years ago. She had a beautiful blue and white lone star. Not only did it not win any ribbons but people couldn't even see what it looked like. It was displayed at a local quit show later and won the people's choice award. Quilts entered in any kind of show should be displayed so as much as possible of the design will show. Quilters want to share their art not have it folded in a cubby.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 AM

What a terribly sad thing! I know as a fair-goer, I would be very unhappy not to be able to view all the quilts. And I would never have guessed your quilt was so cute from the way they displayed it. What a shame. Kudos go to hubby though for standing up for you. Give the man an award!!! :thumbup:

My fair has so many quilts entered that they can't display them all properly either and I find that very frustrating as a viewer. I tend to learn a lot by studying what others do and it's hard to do that when a quilt is folded up and covered with clear plastic. :P

Now I have to say that the quilts here at the Southeastern Idaho State Fair are taken very good care of! The local guild has volunteers who run that section and I'm very excited because this year I get to be a part of it. Yay! I'm hoping I get a better chance to really view the quilts and it will be fun to introduce others to the joys of quilting. :-D
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM

That wasn't fair...no pun intended. I love the quilt, I love the lady bugs and I love the prairie points. And I love the bright color. So I give it a "First Place"!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 AM

Love your quilt! Sorry it wasn't displayed - don't think quilters were involved in arranging the display! Maybe you should check with the Fair Board to see how you can get on the "team" that prepares the displays!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 AM

Well, you made me very happy today, I love your quilt, it is ashame everyone did not see it.
The same thing happened to me, and -- I had a blue ribbon! I asked them to unfold the quilt and hang it in place of another quilt that did not have a ribbon, and they did.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Had to be somebody that doesn't quilt that would do that to an entry! I have never tried prairie points but love the look. You get a 'blue ribbon' from me too!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

Where to begin, you created a very fun and whimsical quilt I know a child will truly love and enjoy, the prairie points in the binding are a very creative touch. I have worked as a volunteer at my local fair for many years, use this experience as a steeping stone to begin to volunteer at your fair, you will learn a lot! and make a difference... volunteers are the ones that display the entries, volunteers are the ones that take in entries, volunteers are the ones that help the judges scribing, entering information, pinning ribbons etc. then during the fair, volunteers work as security in the building. What opportunities! contact your building superintendent and volunteer maybe also ask hubby to volunteer as well, hanging quilts and creating displays is a LOT of work, I have climber those ladders all day and trust me if your volunteers are older, maybe folding quilts is easier than breaking your neck! yesterday at Church I asked for volunteers to help me hang our quilt show in 2 weeks! However when I create displays I attempt to show as much of the work as possible and make sure the name can clearly be seen. I have also trained and work as a quilt judge. Did your judge provide you with comments? those can really help you to improve your quilting, also remember those are just the opinions of one person. Keep quilting and I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM

I so love it!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Having some physical problems in walking, it has been awhile since I have visited either the county or state fair. This is an unacceptable viewing plan in my humble opinion. I am so sorry for your feelings but look at us here....all ready six pages of viewers. We love what you are doing. Please do not let this damper your ability to learn the dying art of quilting. Your quilt is delightful.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM

I personally love this pattern. Three summers ago I made 4 in one week...just couldn't stop. I plan to do more this summer. Next year you shoudl volunteer to "assist" with the quilt booth and show them how it should be done.