Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Hit a Quilting Slump? >

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM

I too have suffered from "block". All of the suggestions above sound like good advice. Worrying about it will make it worse. Maybe you need to take a break, start taking walks around the neighborhood, knitting, time with friends, pick up a project you never had time for while quilting. My block ended while doing a major clean out of the sewing room. When you look at quilting as a "should" and not a "want to" the seeds of block start to germinate.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by seivmom
Nearly 10 months ago, my only son committed suicide (work and wife related). In all other stressful times in my life, quilting has been the therapy that kept me grounded. But now i have found that I can't start or finish any of my projects. The last week or so I have been trying to re-organize my stash and sewing room in the hope that I will find some of that comfort I have always found in my sewing room. Not sure it's going to work, but my husband built me a beautiful sewing room and always encourages my quilting and helps me pick colors and is worried about me and I hate to add more stress on him than he already has. He is also dealing with the same sadness too.
It's funny that it's much easier to tell this to a group of on-line friends than it is to admit the same thing to in- person family and friends.
Dear Seivmom, :cry: :cry: :cry: I am soooooo sorry to hear of your loss!!!! I just lost my mom in March that is terriable in it self and very hard to deal with but I could never imagine loseing one of my children!! My heart goes out to you with lot of Prayers for you and your family!!! PM me I would love to have your address and talk further!!Ms. Shawn :| :-(
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM

I seem to be in one right now. I have accomplished much this summer as oppossed to last summer when I was in school full time. Well, school starts in less than two weeks and I have about 19-21 hours this semester and am not looking forward to it. I have butterflies, am not sleeping well, and do not feel creative. Know I need to not stress over school and just sit down and do my sewing, but...
On top of that, my storage units are beginning to crush under the weight of fabric, magazines, and so forth, and I need to replace them soon. AAArgh! Need an IKEA close by not hours away.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

There are two samplers going on right now, 1. the farmers wife. 2. Rhonda is doing a sampler quilt. Why don't you join in with us. there is no swapping, It is just everyone make and post your blocks. This would be good for you, to jump in with the rest of us, and there is plenty of suport . I hope you join us. God bless. Penny
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM

I am in a slump at the moment, but it's a cross stitch slump.I have enough cross stitch stash to last three lifetimes but can't bring myself to work on anything. Patchwork and sewing is my way of getting through the slump. I hope this doesn't offend anyone here. Perhaps like others have suggested you need to do something completely different for a while.
My cross stitch friends think that I have gone over to the "Dark Side" LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm in a slump right now too! Maybe it's just because it's Summer and I have so much other stuff to do.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Must be that time of year, I also feel like I am in a slump. I quilted my quilt found puckers on the back and tore it all out, Have it already to go again and just can't do it. Think I will make puckers again, also my DH always wants to go somewhere. Hotter than you know what here and humid.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM

I have been there too. Sometimes you just have to pick something up and get going. Or try something different for a bit to get you excited about working with your hands again. Ever tried Crochet?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Also feeling blue. In ON or I would suggest we get together to just visit -girl talk - as I miss female time. Concerned I will die before I get family quilts made-have great fabric. Since I lost my quilt pictures it's worse.
Frustrated with techi stuff like do an avatar. This summer is so hot but last yr. cooler and I sewed all summer. Hand sewing a quilt block that someone else started but I prefer machine-needed to finish this quilt to empty container. New method as each square is quilted and I don't know how to put together. Even have a block cut for "Elm Creek Series" . Depressed enough I can not even sew that block. Health not helping as have no feeling in left thumb -pin prick feeling.
Chiropractor says I have pinched nerve somewhere. SOOOOO
I sit and read books or forum which is addictive too.

I agree-take a break -check health but mostly don't feel guilty.
Thank you anyone willing to read this paragraph as writing this has helped me as I realize many are worse off than me.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

I hit a slump whenever the sewing room gets cluttered and out of control. Which means I am slumping most of the time!

Before it gets too out of hand, I am reorganizing my space and removing all the painting, scrapbooking and non-sewing items from the room. I am relocating all that to a room in the basement where I know I will enjoy scrapbooking a whole lot more!

I am refolding (using the ruler method of Marilyn Bohn)all my fabric and getting reacquainted with some long forgotten fabrics and surprising myself with some I had forgotten I recently purchased. Bit by bit I am regaining interest in the process.

I have cut out three or four different projects and put them in some clear vinyl bags (the kind sheets come packed in) and the pattern is there with them so when I get the urge I won't lose it because my back and neck are tired of cutting and I can't decide which fabrics go with the others I have picked out. All that preliminary work is done and when I want to sew I'll be able to start right away.

I hope you all get your mojo back real soon!