Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard? >

Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Thankfully my machine, a Brother EX660 has a stipling stitch so I don't have to try and do it freehand.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM

I've used decorative stitch on a lot of my quilts and table runners. I did find a link to a blog that gives awesome examples of stitches. When I get home I'll find it.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM

I started doing better when I slowed down my stitching just a little bit. Not a lot or it will look choppy. I have the machine that you don't need the foot peddle for. If you have that option that really helps. Buy the gloves and don't try to move the fabric too fast. Then figure out do you feel more comfortable going right to left/ left to right, front to back/ back to front. Once I figured my comfort mode then I try not to go away from it b/c every time I do it starts looking really bad. Don't know if this helps but good luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM

I don't know what an "after-market" stitch regulator is? Do you mean after you buy the machine you can still get one separate? I just found a brand new BSR for my Bernina Aurora 430 on E-bay. There was no way I was paying $1000 for it and waited and waited and one night when I couldn't sleep, I meandered around E-bay and found it for $435 with free shipping. She had to call it "used" because she took it out for 5 hours to try to use it and was befuddled, so she put it right on E-bay. It was a buy-it-now and I got it. I love it and use it all the time but stippling comes slow to me. I just leave the points in.

I wonder if a larger stippling pattern would be easier instead of trying to go so small. I have to try that too.

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
No help from me. I bunch up the shoulder and neck and start along nicely for about an inch and when I try to change directions I twitch and have points instead of curves, lines cross, the machine gets away from me. I like to hand quilt but seldom do it because I fritter away so much of my day on this infernal computer among other things and hiking with the pooches (mine are: Kit, a field bred Springer who is suffering from PTSD and Rocky, a rescue of undetermined breeding, sort of like a Border Collie with short hair). These 73 year old hands are getting pretty arthritic too. I have a Janome 6600 which doesn't have a stitch regulator but I can set the speed down so that helps if I do my usual death grip on the quilt along with the foot on the floor boards so to speak.

By the way, doesn't Bernina have an after market stitch regulator? I don't know which models it will work on but it would certainly be a great help to you. If one were available for my machine I'd find the money.

Kit's Mamma (she's the Springer named for the black and white snow fox)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I sometimes find i am over thinking it. When i have a glass of wine first my stippleing is much better.
LOVE IT!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM

Do you wear gloves when you stipple? I found they help a lot.
Also relax and go with the flow.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM

I haven't done any machine quilting yet--but I've thought about it a lot and have books to read and study. I've enjoyed these postings because they're giving courage to try it. :-)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Well as you said stippling can be difficult, I have been teaching myself also. I did find that you don't have to go fast like it may have been originally stated to do for random stippling. I have learned I can use my stencils, trace on pattern, and stipple it, makes it lots easier to follow a pattern. I have invested in two pattens and book one is follow the line quilting designs it has full size patterns for blocks and borders by Mary Covey, and also one called twice quilted designs for continuous line quilting by Gloriane Cubbage. I bought them at Joann fabrics they are 26 dollars but used my 50-40 percent off coupon and they were well worth it. I try to find things that are continous and then trace on quilting paper, or pencil on material, or use freezer paper for shapes to go around. I also found that if you use the same thread as material it hides those non-perfect stitches. Also don't be so hard on your self, you will get better, and don't look at it so hard. I found it looks better when done then when first starting. Easier to pick at it, so wait.
It is rather fun, and your stitches don't have to be perfect. Once you get the hang of it and go at a regular speed they are fairly consistent, but after a wash and the full view it usually look great.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM

No advice I have the same problem.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM

I use a pattern to stipple and its from "Quilting Made Easy Borders" makes it very easy to follow and comes out nice.