Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

I don't waste any of it - when fabric costs $21 - $26 a metre on average, and some more than that, one has a tendency to make quilts that use up the lot.e.g. Bargello, colourwash and X - block quilts use up most of he fabric and anything left over is used for applique.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM

I subscribe to the idea of not wasting. You don't need to use it yourself; if you can pass it on to someone else who will use it then it still is not wasted. And as stated here there are lots who will pay postage for unwanted fabric. and if you aren't sure if it is scraps or crumbs just ask- you will find out. I think I read here some will have the postage envelopes or boxes, and put their unwanted in;then post and send out. You can even have 2 one for the scraps and one for the crumbs. And if you belong to a guild you might even find a taker there.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM

I keep 2" and above in one spot and occasionally add to my stash of 2" squares for postage stamp blocks done either random or monotone, then stored for future use. The others are trimmed out at 2-1/2", 3-1/2", and 6-1/2" so I can use them in combo blocks. The smaller strips are saved to use for covering cord of various thickness for coiled baskets, mats, etc.

I don't waste a whole lot for the very reason you state - lots of coins going in the basket if not used.

Scrap cutting day is when I need a complete diversion from whatever, i.e., a real no-brainer. Just make sure you're cutting on the weft or wale (cross or length). It's easy to cut a square out of a wonky scrap on the bias which doesn't work too well. Just a little tug on the piece will tell you.

Sometimes I like the scrappies better than the original piece from which they came! And I feel ever so frugal in the process.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM

I usually keep most of my scraps as if I don't use them I know several people who will. And there are always string quilts and clothesline rope bowls,etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM

I even save the threads that I cut. They make coasters--place them over coaster shapes, put stabllizer (scraps) over them and zig zag over them. Make whatever you can think with them.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM

DON'T THROW AWAY ANYTHING OVER 1". I have made at least 60 quilt tops for the Quilts of Valor program, all from scraps---either my own or 'gifts' from fellow sewers. I have a basket full of scraps beside my sewing machine, to be turned into crumb squares at odd moments---like waiting for the clothes dryer to finish. Crumb squares can be used as a focus fabric in a star, set 4 together in a unit, set as a strippy, just about anyplace your imagination takes you. So if you do not want scraps cluttering up your space, I would love to relieve you of the burden! (My husband will think I'm off my rocker, for sure!) I would gladly pay the postage for a boxfull. I am in southern AZ for the winter, West Central MN in the summer, have a sewing room both places. Phyllis
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM

I love scraps. Little strips or anything I can get a 1.5 in sq out of. I evenhave used the earsyou trim off the triangles. I usr those for cologe bags and scarf's.
Smile So please do not toss those scraps if they are good 100% cotton.....
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM

My friend uses 1/2 inch strips to make fabric bowl. You can always use leftovers in something else. It's only waste if you waste it by throwing it away.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJ
I end up throwing larger pieces away than I'm really comfortable doing, but I know I'll never use them. Has me wondering if I could put them through the paper shredder to use for stuffing? Also wondering where I could donate them if I just have a separate waste bin for fabric, bag it up and give it away.
Find a quilt guild close to you - - an older women's group at any one of a number of churches should be able to help you find an outlet for your scrap stash. <wave>
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by ktbb
Also, do you cut individual pieces, or do you stip quilt? Strip quilting can often save fabric.
It seems to me there is more waste in strip cutting. If you are cutting each piece of a patch individually (fussy cutting) you can line the template up and have very little waste. With strip cutting there is the cutting off the ends to line up and cutting sections to line up the ruler for triangles etc.
I just don't understand this comment. What does it mean to cut "sections" to line up the ruler for triangles etc. when cutting from strips. It sounds like someone needs a lesson in cutting. Do you mean there is lots of extra left from the strip after you cut the pieces you need? Or do u mean the useless ends of strip sets? To me strip piecing is when sewing strips together first then cutting your units from that.