Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 AM

I recently bought fabric at JoAnn Fabric and the clerk tryed to
make the fabric staight however if you want a true straight cut
you need to tear the fabric. I have even done it with slipcover
fabric. when wanting a true (straight of the fabric) piece.

We loose lots of fabric just trying to make our pieces square or
straight so I guess it is up to the user what you do.

Flo from NNY
Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 AM

I do not have a problem with torn fabric in fact I have had some so crooked the only way I could straighten it was to tear now I'm telling my age but when I was in high school in home ec the teacher always had us tear for an accurate grain line I think that tearing went out when polyester came in
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM

I prefer to have it ripped, but no one in my area does that any more.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 AM

Our LQS tear, but they always allow an extra inch or so of fabric.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 AM

When I was young I would go to town with my grandmother. They tore the fabric as you have described. I have never seen it done in "modern" times say since the end of the 1950's, but I would not like it done to my fabric. I would ask them to cut it instead of tearing it. I am sure they would want to please their customer.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 AM

All the fabric I buy online is not torn. Also the two LQS in my area cut. There is no reason, with the measuring boards and sharp scissors they have, that they can't cut. I think it is just plain lazy. My LQS cuts so accurately that I almost don't have to straighten the edge at all when I start cutting pieces. If I do it may be only 1/8 of an inch at the most and that is not often. I commented to her one day about this. She attributes it to the really good pair of scissor she has which cost $60.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 AM

I work part time in a fabric shop and I cut or rip the fabric. I will ask new customers which they prefer.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 AM

I use to be partners in a quilt shop and we always tear the fabric. This is so there is no waste and things are true. When you see that angle at the end of the fabric it is caused by the way they put the fabric on the bolts at the factory or the distributor. It is twisted a bit. If you are luck enough to have a long or mid arm, you can attach the torn ends and roll it back and forth adding a bit of tension and straighten the longest of pieces lickety split. Wide backs are impossible to cut straight rolling will fix them up pronto. If you don't believe in washing first, use this time to spritz your fabric with a bit of water and a little bit of fabric softener as you roll. Smooth the fabric on the pick up roller and let it set for about 20 or 30 minutes. No need to iron.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by makakehau
Am I being too picky? Would it be terribly demanding of me to ask them to please cut my fabric?
Lori
It is your choice how you want your fabric treated. Tearing the fabric does give you a straight edge; however, it warps the edge also and you lose about 2 to 3 inches at every tear. At $10 a yard, that's a lot to lose cumulatively - especially if you're getting a small amount (1/2 yard or less).

I personally will not buy any fabric that's been torn. I've had people tear the fabric before I can tell them not to do it and then I've refused to buy the fabric.

I had one quilt shop refuse to cut - they offered me an extra 2 or 3 inches of fabric. They told me they preferred to tear than cut fabric. I told them I preferred to shop elsewhere and left. This was in spite of the fact that it was the only shop that had a fabric I'd been looking a month or more for.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
My LQS tears the extra wide backing material, they cut the rest.

I have had the LQS, Joann's and Hancocks all cut fabric so far off that I had to cut off more than four inches to square up my fabric. I don't care what they do really, as long as I do not have wasted fabric.
JulieM
me, too. on both fronts.