Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I remember making some cotton table napkins years ago, before I really got into quilting, and I tore the fabric to make the squares, thinking I would get a really even square since it would be totally on grain. Those napkins have been a pain ever since, in trying to iron them and fold them into quarters. They never seem to want to fold into a square properly. I guess that's what scared me off of tearing. But, maybe that fabric was just off grain - is that a possibility? I could never quite figure it out......
If you are using 100% cotton, it will seem like it is out of square after washing no matter if it is cut or torn. If, it is perfectly on the grain, you can "square it up" by stretching opposite corners. If it is not perfectly on grain, no amount of stretching will help.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM

This may end up being the fourth great insolvable controversy. I prefer my fabric torn as it is much truer to length and on the straight grain. But certainly we can agree to disagree.

(The other three controversies? Windows vs Mac. Nikon vs Canon and mayonnaise vs miracle whip!)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by pipp5
This a common practice and I actually wish all fabric stores did this. I used to work at House of Fabrics and when we did fabrics for quilters, we had to rip it. When you rip it, it tears straight down the weave of the fabric and is much more accurate than cutting. I know it it's a little messy, but it's better to deal with the strings than getting home only to find out that your cut was way off and you don't have enough fabric for your project which seems to happen all too frequently.
SO TRUE! :D
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad
This may end up being the fourth great insolvable controversy. I prefer my fabric torn as it is much truer to length and on the straight grain. But certainly we can agree to disagree.

(The other three controversies? Windows vs Mac. Nikon vs Canon and mayonnaise vs miracle whip!)
L O L :-D
Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM

I had listed this comment a few weeks back. I placed several bolts on the counter to be cut in a quilting store in Montgomery, AL (I was visiting). The lady measured one of them & started to tear it. I asked if she could please cut it instead and if she had to tear it, please give me an extra inch or two, because the tearing distorts the fabric edges & you lose that fabric edge when using it.

Well, she stated that she always tore the fabric and if I wanted it cut, they charged $1.00 a bolt to cut the fabric. Some of the fabric was on sale, I had 11 bolts on the table, so that would cost me $11.00 to have them cut it. I told her I would not pay $11 to have it cut. She said, "well, then I guess you don't get our sale fabric" and I said to her that was perfectly fine with me, and started to walk out.

She yelled after me that I had to pay for the fabric from the bolt she "started" to tear. I turned around, gave her a big smile, waved good-bye, and walked out the door. They will never see me in there again and I go to Montgomery often to visit my daughter & her family.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 PM

neonparrot - I will be very surprised if this LQS is still in business when you are back in town with someone like that working for them (or maybe it was the owner...even worse). Glad you stuck to your guns. :thumbup:
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 AM

I have never been to a Shop that does tear the fabric, but I would think it would be fine to ask them to cut it. I would! I don't like the raggy edges either.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 AM

Neonparrot I would never enter their doors again either! That was uncalled for to be so rude. I have heard of tearing fabric, but sure not charging you extra to cut it!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Neonparrot I would never enter their doors again either! That was uncalled for to be so rude. I have heard of tearing fabric, but sure not charging you extra to cut it!
I can understand it. She's going to have to go back and tear that fabric again anyway, costing her time and some measure of fabric, or else the next customer will get a wonky piece.

I know many of you don't believe that, but it sounds like the store's policy falls on the "tear it" side of the debate.

No call for her to be rude to you, but I understand the policy. I wouldn't want to be the next person to get fabric from that bolt if she had cut it for you and left it at that.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by neonparrot
I had listed this comment a few weeks back. I placed several bolts on the counter to be cut in a quilting store in Montgomery, AL (I was visiting). The lady measured one of them & started to tear it. I asked if she could please cut it instead and if she had to tear it, please give me an extra inch or two, because the tearing distorts the fabric edges & you lose that fabric edge when using it.

Well, she stated that she always tore the fabric and if I wanted it cut, they charged $1.00 a bolt to cut the fabric. Some of the fabric was on sale, I had 11 bolts on the table, so that would cost me $11.00 to have them cut it. I told her I would not pay $11 to have it cut. She said, "well, then I guess you don't get our sale fabric" and I said to her that was perfectly fine with me, and started to walk out.

She yelled after me that I had to pay for the fabric from the bolt she "started" to tear. I turned around, gave her a big smile, waved good-bye, and walked out the door. They will never see me in there again and I go to Montgomery often to visit my daughter & her family.
You did just what I would do, NO STORE can stay in business very long when they abuse their patrons. The issue cut/tear aside, the real issue was that they tried to "jack up the price" just to get you to be compliant. Good for YOU! :D