Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Do You Spend on Fabric? >

How Much Do You Spend on Fabric?

How Much Do You Spend on Fabric?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Dont know but I am having fun doing it , I worked hard all
my life waiting for retirement sonow I am enjoying it doing waht I love best , Cathy
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Good for you :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Dont know but I am having fun doing it , I worked hard all
my life waiting for retirement snow I am enjoying it doing waht I love best , Cathy
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM

I only spend about $10-$20 per month. I only shop when I have 40% or 50% coupon, when I am shopping in the fabric shops, so I can get a lot with just a little money.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM

I spend way tooo much, and judging by the amount of fabric i have you can tell. I wonder if I will get around to using it all. NOT!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't dare calculate the monthly average of my stash spending. i'm sure it would put me into a shock-induced coma. :shock:

when i look at my stash - which literally lines 3 walls, floor to nearly-ceiling, i'm not proud of it. i wish i had the cash invested in just those fabrics i like but will never live long enough to use. if i'd spent more wisely, i could have retired a few years ago. :lol:

it would be a huge mistake to pace your purchasing based on the habits of others. there's no such thing as a standard "right size" for a stash.

let your own needs and financial health be your guides. ;-)
You are right on. :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't dare calculate the monthly average of my stash spending. i'm sure it would put me into a shock-induced coma. :shock:

when i look at my stash - which literally lines 3 walls, floor to nearly-ceiling, i'm not proud of it. i wish i had the cash invested in just those fabrics i like but will never live long enough to use. if i'd spent more wisely, i could have retired a few years ago. :lol:

it would be a huge mistake to pace your purchasing based on the habits of others. there's no such thing as a standard "right size" for a stash.

let your own needs and financial health be your guides. ;-)
That is so true
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Take your time and build your stash. I've been collecting fabric for years and that is why I have so much. Remember, size doen't matter, it is what you do with it. So have fun but don't stress about it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
When I started quilting in 2004 it was with the intention of generating income for my retirement years (coming up in 11 years) I always planned to make a quilt for each of my brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews and grands if they made an entrance into the world.

In 2006 I became ill and everything changed. My goal at that time was to finish all the family member quilts. I finished the last one at Christmas and am in the process of quilting it now.

Not to bring anyone down this morning, but I am terminally ill. My stash is something that I don't want to leave behind for DH to have to deal with. I am going to work to use what I can making quilts for kids, the chicken swap quilt which I will give to my brother in law and one more big quilt for my husband.
No new purchases for me. I figure I have enough fabric to complete every pattern I now have in my possession. The colors may be a challenge, but I will make them work. If I'm lucky, I'll have bow tucks bags for Christmas gifts this year! If not, everything will be packed up and ready to donate to quilts for kids.
Roxanne
I am so sorry. I know your family will appreciate how much you will be leaving them as part of you will be in each stitch you make.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM
tmg

I buy most if my fabric at the thrift store. The other fabric I buy us to go with the fabric I find at the thrift store. I try not to spend a lot on fabric.