Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I might mention that this is my second marriage. During the first marriage I remember when I brought home a cross stitch picture that I'd just picked up from the framer. He said "don't tell me you expect that piece of s*** to hang on our walls." Gee, can you imagine--he was gone soon after that and it hung on MY walls for awhile and now hangs on "our" walls.
Oooooh - that almost made me cry remembering how I too had one of those. Sometimes they can be so cruel and they can kill your spirit with their words.

Current DH is a wonderful man, he just craves my attention. So time quilting is time I don't spend with him. I seem to be the center of his whole world and that worries me.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Sorry your DH is like that. I am very blessed my DH is very happy with my hobby and will even ask if he can drive me the 40 mins to a little quilt shop I like to go to.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

My husband watches TV. He plays golf when he can, even in the winter. The rule being if you can hold the club without freezing your hand then you can play, and if the snow is off the greens. He does not understand my crafting, but has always been supportive. He does not like the money I spend on fabric, but after he sees it become something he stops grumbling. I would very much like to see him get a hobby, but I'm not having much luck with that. I really think the big obstacle is that my sewing takes me away from time with him, but no matter how much you love someone you cannot spend every waking moment with them. It isn't good for either of us. Now that we are retired we are together almost 24 7. I don't know what to do, but I'm not giving up quilting.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Did you ever think about all of the things that "D" in DH can be???

I agree with the post regarding immaturity. After 32 yrs of marriage, I'm pretty sure my DH isn't going to suddenly mature. Should have known I was in for trouble when I realized he was jealous of his own children!

He doesn't understand my hobbies, but I'm just as clueless about his love of TV's (one in every room of the house, including basement, except bathroom). That's been a bone of contention since a month after we were married. Any free time was in front of the TV. And I mean ANY - and will let it go at that.

So, I started to sew, needlework, stamping for a while... Now mostly quilting.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear that Dianne. I have a theory about marriages. I think that every couple needs 3 hobbies between them. One for him. One for her. And one for both of them to enjoy together.

Try to engage him in a hobby that you can enjoy together!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Obviously you have hit a nerve here! There are lots of women responding! I have many things to complain about, but not that! My husband supports my quilting totally! He enjoys the creative angle! He did want a quilt for himself (or us) as the case may be before I made too many for other relatives.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM

My husband is kinda supportive of my quilting too. Although not necessarily the money I spend on it. He calls the first quilt I made the "million dollar blanket" because of the money I spent on a new sewing machine, fabric and notions to "build it".
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM

I am pretty lucky that my dh understands my need for needlework. He is pretty supportive. I always have a project going. I have been involved with sewing costumes for a local high school for the last 10 years. The production staff changed and I almost didn't sew. He encouraged me to talk to the staff and see if they still need help. I just met with them yesterday and it looks like I am sewing again.

Some years ago we were on a trip to the midwest. On our way back we were going through Kentucky. My family (me, dh and our 2 sons) spent the morning in Paducha at the Quilt Museum. when we left dh was able to discuss the differences between hand quilting and machine quilting. To counterbalance the morning we spent the afternoon at the Corvette Museum.

Hopefully you can reach a compromise.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Good luck with that one! As long as there are re-runs of Law and Order there isn't a chance.

Right now I'm convinced that most men are just old little boys, they never really grow up. I've spoiled my husband over the past 47 years and now I'm paying for it, big time!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM

I use to hand quilt while my husband watched his shoot 'em ups on TV. The quilt I was hand peicing and hand quilting when he passed away is little tiny rose buds, dark green, white and deep red. It is called The Gunfight at the OK Corral quilt. It was finished 19 years after he passed away! I love it for the memories of out tv evenings.
Maybe you could pick a hand project to quilt and join him in fron of the tv on some nights?