Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
Originally Posted by Sing
Dianne - Have you asked him "why?" in a gentle tone? It sounds like he is projecting something onto you. Did his mother engage in something where he felt left out and neglected?
His mother read all the time...
I don't sew everyday.. As long as I am in the kitchen cooking ..or cleaning it doesn't matter if I am sitting with him or not...He just doesn't like the sewing??? But like I said if a friend of his or someone at work is having a baby he wants me to make something... Can't figure it out???
Have you made anything for him specifically?? Maybe he feels left out? When he asks you to make something for someone he knows it is almost like he is helping in a sense that he asked you to do it ... when you make something on your own or your own design he may feel left out ...

My DH and I have a pretty unique relationship when it comes to each of our hobbies so I cannot really offer any advice to help :(
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Perhaps you need to say, "Well, thank goodness that silly program (ballgame, whatever) is over." No--guess not--it might start a fight.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM

His mother read all the time...
I don't sew everyday.. As long as I am in the kitchen cooking ..or cleaning it doesn't matter if I am sitting with him or not...He just doesn't like the sewing??? But like I said if a friend of his or someone at work is having a baby he wants me to make something... Can't figure it out???
I'm going to get all therapy touchy-feely on you, okay? Have you heard of the book "The 5 Love Languages"? Try it. The premise is that each person has a specific love language, something that makes that person feel loved. This has nothing to do with intellect, just emotions. So, maybe for someone it's Words of Affirmation (they like to hear that they are wonderful, beautiful, strong, etc.) and for someone else it's Quality Time (sitting together watching TV) and for someone else it's Acts of Service (husband mowing the lawn makes wife feel loved). Now, the counter to that is that when someone uses a language that is NOT someone else's love language, it makes the person feel unloved. So, if someone's love language is Quality Time, then providing Acts of Service feels awful. If wife wants Quality Time, but husband spends time fixing the gate, mowing the lawn, wife feels unloved.

Okay, having said that... I know that quilting is a hobby, so it's not specifically a love language. But, maybe if your H's love language is Quality Time, then spending 30 minutes with him watching TV would make him feel loved, and then he would be happy for you to spend time in your quilting cave.

Of course, he should also use your love language for you. So, he should understand that Words of Affirmation about your completed quilt makes you feel loved.

When both parties use each other's love language, every feels loved.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Sorry your husband is like that.

I'm also in the very lucky category. I have only been quilting for about a year but DH loves it. He even bought me a hand quilting frame for Christmas so I can do larger quilts. He said he doesn't feel so guilty when he leaves to go hunting or fishing because he knows that I have a hobby that I can enjoy while he is gone. I do try to do hand quilting in my lap frame or cross stitch upstairs with him when he is home and in the house. So we are both happy campers
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM

I am so sorry for you - that is sad. I'm on my 2nd husband 3rd partner and the other two were nerds when it came to sewing. Money is very tight and my DH used to worry over my stash and what it cost.

BUT he now quilts (just finished piecing his 2nd quilt this afternoon!)- Now he worries that we haven't enough fabric to keep us both going AND he has stopped complaining about my lack of cleaning!!!!

I wanted to stop to watch a little TV this evenng as I have been sewing all day and he is all antsy and agitated as he has finished one quilt top and wants to start the next!!! LOL.

BUT - I appreciate they are not all going to come around to this extreme - its nice to know that when I want to go to the big quilt shows in the summer he will be in the front of the que!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM

My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
My DH has stepped on a pin or 2 and been upset (we have 2 grandchildren - he is afraid they will get a hold of them) - He is supportive (hates the mess around the house) but he plays golf (3 times a week) so he really can't complain too much.

I just wish I could get me house in order - especially my sewing room - life would be nice
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

I too feel sorry for you. I am very thankful that I have a DH that supports me in what I do... But he also has several hobbies.. cattle, fishing and hunting... So, when he is home I usually never go to my sewing room. I do it this way so when I really need to get something finished I can with no problem. Is that to say he will not come looking for me no. because he does and he will say what you doing. I tell him and he is fine an goes on his little way...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. My dear husband is so supportive of my quilting. He even gave up his office to make room for my Tin Lizzie. He encourages me to spend time with my hobby and will do all sorts of things so I can have the time. His latest project is a design wall for my new sewing room. My 21 year old son just moved out and now the room is mine! I am so fortunate, a great husband and a huge stash, just wish I had more time, guess we can't have it all! LOL.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Keep on quilting!!!!!! Hugs.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Do you think it's because he has no hobbies or interests other than TV? Might be, but that's his problem. My DH is extremely supportive, and just recently practically forced me to buy an Accuquilt GO. I think part of the reason is that he has a hobby--woodworking--and he realizes that hobbies take time and money. I do give in a about an hour each evening and pretend to watch TV with him. I either work on binding or some yo-yo's and neither one of us in into TV that much so we talk while watching/sewing. I might mention that this is my second marriage. During the first marriage I remember when I brought home a cross stitch picture that I'd just picked up from the framer. He said "don't tell me you expect that piece of s*** to hang on our walls." Gee, can you imagine--he was gone soon after that and it hung on MY walls for awhile and now hangs on "our" walls.