Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 AM

I am so very sorry you have to deal with this attitude. I won't tolerate that from my husband, sounds like a lack of respect to me. I know people are different, but personally I won't live with that, if it was my husband, I would have a good talk with him about it, what is it that he doesn't like about your sewing? He wants to spend more time together, then maybe you too can find a common hobby to do together so that it'd be together quality time. Other than that, he really has no right complaining about something you like to do, unless you are going way overboard to where is is unhealthy.

I am fortunate to have a husband who has great respect for me and everything I choose to do, I do the same for him and I won't have it Any other way. We have the common hobbies to do together, then we have hobbies we do alone, it creates a good balance and we both are very happy and satisfied. As an example, just the other day, my hubby was doing sone woodwork for our house, and I walked just as he was finishing setting it up, I commented on how much his workmanship has improved and how much I like the piece he built. When he was done, we were sipping tea together and he stArted going upstairs saying "let me go admire your work as you just admired mine". LOL, he is wonderful, I love him. He may not have any interest in quilting per se, but he respects the fact that I do, and he actually listens to what I say about it, admires my work and would even go into the fabric store if I needed to stop there during one of our outings. He'll also give me an opinion about color, placement or whatever if I ask.

I really think you need to talk to your husband and get this resolved.

Hugs
Candi
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM

That's too bad. My husband is very supportive of my quilting and everytime I start a new quilt he asks "is that for me?" I made his a special one and he insists on using mine! He's a silly man.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Oh, I so feel for you! Good job continuing to do something you love even though someone you love isn't supporting you. If you suppress your love of quilting it will come back to haunt you.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM

I probably am weird, but I LOVE my alone time. Maybe it's because I was an only child. Learned to entertain myself in my head. I hate crowds, loud parties/activities and do not have many close friends, just a few. Yea - it's the only child syndrome.

I hate to say it, and maybe I am selfish (again, only child) but sometimes I wish I could just go away for a while and do only what I want to do.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 AM

How about 3 nights out?
One night you both ignore your other "loves" and go do something like going out to eat, visiting with friends either at home or their place, go play cards, bowling, etc.
One night you do what he wants to do. If he wants to watch tv then that's what you do that night.
One night you do what you want. If you want to quilt then guess what that's what he gets to do also. Start a quilt with him from planning to sewing. Get him involved. Maybe he'll start to enjoy it too.
The other 4 nights are each your own.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

My husband is a GEM. He has always supported any hobby I have had, but... I support his as well. I like to hand quilt and can sit in the same room as him and we talk and I quilt. He likes to watch me "build" things on the machine.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm a lucky one! We'll be married 40 years this July (hard to believe, cause I'm not old enough to be married that long!). He is very interested and supportive of what I do, goes to Quilting shows with me, never rushes me, and even bought me a frame and Juki to quilt on last year for my birthday/Christmas! He loves to watch what I'm doing! He's a definite keeper.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM

No, my DH is very supportive and complimentary of my quilting. Heck, the man even posts on HIS Facebook page pics of my quilts, LOL. :-)

Good for you though sticking up for yourself and what makes you happy!

Tanesha
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM

So sorry! What awful comments. Don't let him discourage you. My first husband was very supportive of my quilting and other hobbies. He would have been the guy to tell me to go buy the Bernina. My 2nd and current husband can barely pretend to care. I'm sure he has all kinds of thoughts about cleaning and cooking being more important than quilting. Fortunately for him, he's smart enough to keep it to himself. That's why I thank God that I earn and spend my own money. And how can watching TV be more worthwhile than DOING anything? That's why we need this board, sending you hugs, just keep on stitching!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM

My DH is supportive of my hobby. He has 2 years ago for X-mas he took a spare room in the basement and put in brand new cabinets, an island, new Mac computer, and lots of supplies for scrapbooking. Now that I'm getting into quilting on Saturday he took me (in a snow storm) about 50 kms to a sewing store so I could purchase a new sewing machine. I was shopping around to purchase one for about $1000.00 and I ended up going home with a $5000.00 machine. I think he got just as excited when we got into the store and seen some of the bigger machines.
The only thing he asked of me was to work on one project at a time because he knows me well and I will work on 10 if I could but finish none.
I feel sad for you when your husband complains....