Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Sorry to hear you have a husband that does not appreciate your quilting hobby. My feeling is that it is a whole lot cheaper than therapy... and if I were you I would either find or make a sign for your quilting "space" that says - "Happy Wife - Happy Life". The second part to the sign would be making sure that he understands the concept. Or better yet since he is TV kind of guy - HIDE HIS REMOTE!!!!! Ha ha!!

Good Luck
Sue
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM

I'm sorry your husband isn't more supportive. Mine has been pretty tolerant of the quilting "stuff" pretty much taking over the whole house! In fact, he helped me move the kitchen table into the living room over the weekend and we're using a card table for the kitchen table at the moment! Do you and your husband have any common interests? DH and I have a a few tv shows that we enjoy watching together. I think having something in common does help sometimes.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM
bj

I won't say that mine is supportive, exactly, but he will tell me something is pretty every now and then. He'll drift into the sewing room periodically on his way to the necessary or the kitchen. But he doesn't complain about me sewing. He may be glad it keeps me out of his basement. I'm a talker and he is NOT, so watching TV with me is not HIS cup of tea. Plus, he spends way more on cable a month than I would ever think about spending on fabric. :-D :-D
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Oh Deema, I can so relate to your feelings about hubby away on business and now you can quilt in peace. My favourite spot to cut is on the large kitchen table as I have extra light and can watch my birds. However I can only spread out fabric when I'm sure hubby is away or I'll be the brunt of some snarky little comments such as "Now I see your quilting is taking over the whole house". I have never understood how a little fabric on the table can be such a problem. He also doesn't like it when I fold laundry there. He fusses about someone "coming in" in and seeing it. I maintain it could be a lot worse than seeing and smelling clean laundry and fabric (I use lavender Best Press on my fabric and it smells heavenly). We will just never agree on this subject.
My husband is the same way about clean laundry...I don't get it! If "someone comes in" they will find a house wife doing laundry...shock of all shocks!!! LOL Besides, any person who would just come over either doesn't care where I fold the laundry, or doesn't matter enough for me to care what they think! lol
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
I'm blessed to have a husband who loves and supports my quilting 100% of the time. He says he loves it when I sit in the den with him and hand quilt. When I'm in my sewing room he watches his "guy shows" or gets on the computer. He even goes to quilt shows with me. Yes, he's a great guy.
I'm blessed also!! DH supports my quilting!! He'll even stop and look over my shoulder to see what I'm sewing on my machine. He's even given me a suggestion or two (a good one too!!) about colors, etc. I'm a lucky quilter!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

I dont complain about the amount of time my husband spends out in his garage and he doesnt complain about the time I spend quilting, It works for us, and when he is watching tv it isnt usually anything I would enjoy so he gets the remote all to himself.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 AM

My DH had a really hard time with me sewing and spending so much time away from the family, so I sew a bit and sit a bit and clean a bit and play a bit with our son. If I do a bit of everything, everyone is happy :D .
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 AM

No, Deema, it is not bad that you will have some peace and quiet and can quilt all night long if it suits you. My sister looks forward to her husband going fishing for a few days so she can do some remodeling in her house without his input. One time he came home and there was a wall missing in the living room! Have fun!!!
Originally Posted by deema
My husband has the same "hobby" as yours. :(

He doesn't mind so much that I quilt, he's not interested in it, but he gives me the obligatory "That's nice". He doesn't really complain about it, but I can tell when he's irritated about me spending every free moment in my basement and then I just feel guilty.

He left this morning to go out of the country for a month...is it bad that I'm happy about it because I can quilt guilt free whenever I feel like it?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 AM

My DH doesn't "get" quilting but he is glad I have a hobby. I don't "get" his video games, so we are pretty even!

it has helped since we moved because now i have a craft/sewing/quilting space of my own. In the other house, I was always working at either the kitchen or dining table and he hated seeing the mess.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM

I am a lucky one also, as my husband supports me 100%. Last night I saw him online searching for a new sewing machine for me. Plus he also helped me figure out how to use a new cutter I got for Christmas. So last night he was cutting strips for me while I was sewing. He kept saying..oh what my brothers would say if they saw me now.. lol I said well I bet the same thing their spouses would say had they seen me helping plane the lumber, using a saw or drill?? lol