Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 AM

I am so sorry that he feels that way, and treats you like that. I know what a sweet person you are, and you do not deserve that. I hate to say this, but his behavior and childish and selfish. Tell him that if he wants you to turn your sewing machine off, he has tO turn his TV off and take you out to dinner!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM

My husband has the same "hobby" as yours. :(

He doesn't mind so much that I quilt, he's not interested in it, but he gives me the obligatory "That's nice". He doesn't really complain about it, but I can tell when he's irritated about me spending every free moment in my basement and then I just feel guilty.

He left this morning to go out of the country for a month...is it bad that I'm happy about it because I can quilt guilt free whenever I feel like it?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 AM

My husband would prefer that I spend more time with him or cleaning the house than I do, but he doesn't say anything really against it like yours. My husband knew that I sewed before we married so that wasn't an issue, maybe you and your husband should sit down and have a discussion about what would make both of you "happy", and if sewing/quilting makes you happy, so be it, life is too short to spend it being miserable.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 AM

Oh Deema, I can so relate to your feelings about hubby away on business and now you can quilt in peace. My favourite spot to cut is on the large kitchen table as I have extra light and can watch my birds. However I can only spread out fabric when I'm sure hubby is away or I'll be the brunt of some snarky little comments such as "Now I see your quilting is taking over the whole house". I have never understood how a little fabric on the table can be such a problem. He also doesn't like it when I fold laundry there. He fusses about someone "coming in" in and seeing it. I maintain it could be a lot worse than seeing and smelling clean laundry and fabric (I use lavender Best Press on my fabric and it smells heavenly). We will just never agree on this subject.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 AM

I'm blessed to have a husband who loves and supports my quilting 100% of the time. He says he loves it when I sit in the den with him and hand quilt. When I'm in my sewing room he watches his "guy shows" or gets on the computer. He even goes to quilt shows with me. Yes, he's a great guy.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 AM

My dh is a complete BUTT.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 AM

My DH say if it makes you happy do it. He use to make a remark now and then about my stash, but since I've told him I'm leaving instructions with DD he doesn't comment anymore.
He is a TV watcher but also likes the horses so it works well for us as he likes to do his thing. I venture into the living room from time to time and say hello. Usually on my way to my computer or to the kitchen. We only have a small 2 bedroom house. Wish we still had the huge house we had before I started Quilting.
He has his laptop on the kitchen bench. It's pretty squashy at times but we manage.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 AM
LDB

So sorry his attitude is poor. It has been said that sometimes people rain on the parade of another because they don't have their on parade. Remember, the only person you can make happy is yourself. He is responsible for his own attitude. You were very smart to remind him your hobbies make you happy - a state of mind he wants if he is smart.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Beebee
It will get better as the years of marriage pass..Believe me...was married 50 yrs. before he left. They do "mellow" over the years and look forward to "whats for dinner, dear"
I agree, we have been married 32 years and he has mellowed over the years, but then again so have I. I think immature men have a difficult time when their wife is different (different use of time) than the wives of the men they work with, but over time they come to take pride in the things their wife does that makes the home homey. I always say that at one time we were young and dumb but will get older and hopefully wiser.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM

WOW....he would have to go LOL I am very lucky, my DH never complains about my "hobby" Maybe yours is just a little insecure and needs more hugs :!: I hope it gets better for you soon