Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

For those who still want a Studio, it is the same as the Accucut "Grande Mark" machine. I have seen several sell recently for $200 on ebay. As long as they box it well, these machines are very heavy-duty & well made. I get lots of AQ dies off ebay & have wonderful service consistently from a seller named "Janabrad". They charge very little for shipping & pack them well. All have been new or like-new.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
You don't really need one, its more of a want, an expensive one at that for something you can do with a rotary cutter and scissors for much cheaper. I personally probably won't get one until i have arthritis and its hard for me to cut. Can't really justify the price for something i can already do myself, now if i get one as a gift, thats a different story
sweetie, everything related to the "NEW" quilting industry is about WANTS....cutters, rulers, books, fabric, patterns..all a WANT, not a need...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM

I love my "go" - it is great!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM

I have ordered the Accuquilt Studio as I have shoulder problems and I am not the most accurate cutter. Also the Studio has a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM

I also want a cutting machine, my problem is this, not to sound morbid but I have been in end stages of heart failure for 5 yrs 6 months, most people live with reg heart failure 5 yrs or less. I try to see the glass as half full rather than half empty but how can I justify spending that money? Now if I would of bought it when I first decided I wanted it I would have about 2 years of use out of it, but I didn't Now I want to make all my kids grandkids and great grand kids quilts, I already have the material in my stash for these quilts[23] so somrtimes I think go for it and get started before it is too late. I can't use a rotary cutter worth a darn my cutting is never accurate I hve ra,corpal tunnel and fibro so using scissors is not an option. I also scrapbook and purchased a cricut machine thinking I could use it for cutting squares and triangles rectangles and ect. I have used it for appliques but it is basic a paper machine and to use fabric you have to use steam to seam which can get pricy and adds extra bulk I quess my posting has 2 purposes one to say if you honestly want one and are pretty sure you will use it go for it and my other reason for posting is trying to justify to myself whether I should get one or not.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Go For it!! Life is too short--your family will treasure those quilts so much and you don't want to waste any time. They can always sell it on ebay later.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Your'e like me. I just turned 80, I had a MIA 6 years ago,last march I got sick took me months had an allergy,arthritis pain in my wrist,it got hard all of a sudden to do my flower gardening,then I had more problems and had to have tests, after tests so now I have stomach problems and I thought I wanted a new sewing machine but like you I keep thinking "I am getting up in age,I probably won't get the use of it but I also think why not. Once I was told to enjoy the rest of my life,so I still may buy a sewing machine even if my old one does pretty good...at 35 years.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ
I bought mine because I really don't like to cut and it always seems like my ruler slips when I'm cutting and I get frustrated because my pieces don't line up. I also have the Alto and like it a lot for cutting larger pieces.

Susan
I put small punches of fine sandpaper on my rulers, just behind the numbers. It really helps to keep the ruler from slipping.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM

None with the strips. And what is left over with the other cuts I cut into strips,squares etc. Not much waste at all.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

My rotary cutter skills are not terrific so my sweet husband gave me the Accuquilt Go for Christmas. I cut out 2 1/2" and 6"squares for a queen quilt in about 4 hours. My arthritic back appreciated the new machine also. Husband called a local quilt shop asking about the machine before Christmas and was told no one here is a dealer. I walked into JoAnn's after the holidays and saw a great display of the machine, dies, and cutting mats! I love the machine and already need a new cutting mat.