Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >
  • Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

• Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 AM

The initial outlay of $350 is intimidating enough but if you look at all the dies you would need, it really gets way too pricy, especially with cotton prices set to rise in the coming year.
    If you sell your products then you can perhaps justify it because cutting 6 fabrics at a time does speed production up.
    Also, if you are disabled and unable to stand at your cutting mat to accurately
    cut strips, this would be a solution.
    -Judy
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ
    hheelleenn

There are a couple of yahoo groups, sewitsforsale and quiltersfleamarket where you couple post an ISO for an Alto. I've seen them several times recently and that is where I bought mine. I think I paid $65 (including shipping) used and it was in great shape. I would think it would work well for you. The clips on the one side hold the fabric and the ruler slips over an edge which would hold the ruler. You would probably still need to weigh the end of the ruler down but I think it would make cutting easier for you. Good luck.

Susan
    Thank you sooooo much. I was trying to find a place for an "I want" ad but I did not want to go to Craigs list. I'm going there right now!
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

My biggest question is how much waste do you end up with?
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I got an accugo because I started getting arthritis in my hands and I was having a lot of trouble. I agree the dyes are quite expensive. I have the 2 1/2in strips,the triangle,the 6 1/2 square and want to get the circles. Oh,by the way I bought mine for a little over $200 on sale.
    It is a "little stiff to turn" @ first. If I was a "pain free" person I may not of purchased it because of the expense of the dyes
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I got an accugo because I started getting arthritis in my hands and I was having a lot of trouble. I agree the dyes are quite expensive. I have the 2 1/2in strips,the triangle,the 6 1/2 square and want to get the circles. Oh,by the way I bought mine for a little over $200 on sale.
    It is a "little stiff to turn" @ first. If I was a "pain free" person I may not of purchased it because of the expense of the dyes
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Queen Deb
    My biggest question is how much waste do you end up with?
    I draw lines on the die where the blades are, then position my fabric so that there is just 1/4-inch overhang on each side. Waste is similar to that involved in rotary cutting -- perhaps slightly more waste on certain shapes, but not a lot more.
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

I used my Accuquilt Go last night and was finished cutting strips for a queen size quilt in about 1/2 hour - your can't beat the speed of these little machines. I purchased one because I have a bad habit of moving the ruler when using a rotary cutter, this cutter helps me cut straight lines.
    NormaBeth
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Very interesting info from all of you....I am waiting for the delivery of my Go Baby, but I see the Go in my future as well. Thanks for all the hints on dies, etc.
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM

I am budgeting for one myself, and have been shopping around for a while. Keep watching Amazon.com. Outside sellers sell it there a lot and the prices keep changing ($30 average), but the cheapest i found so far is for $238 with free shipping and no tax. They also sell the dies a little cheaper than MSRP but i am not sure if at Jo-anns you can use coupons on dies.
    The truth is even though it is pricey, I honestly don't want to end up with Arthiritis or Carpel Tunnel because of quilting, so if this is gonna help me keep quilting and be healthy, then it is worth every penny :)
    Hope that helps

Faten
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM

By the way...with the strip cutting dies, how long can you cut the strips? Would it cut long strips like say for the inner border on a wall hanging or lap sized quilt?