Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . . >

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Trying to decide if I need an Accuquilt cutter . . .

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I have a go machine, i have used it 2 times, just to see if I liked it, well I am a visual person and I have yet to see something inspiring to bring it out and use it. so for now it still sits.
Sandra
Did you try contacting accuquilt? Ask them for some ideas, hints etc. It's a shame not to use it to the max. Otherwise sell it and get something that does work for you.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 AM

I have a go and I like it for certain things, tumblers, charm squares, etc. Mainly though, I prefer to rotary cut.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM

hheelleenn

There are a couple of yahoo groups, sewitsforsale and quiltersfleamarket where you couple post an ISO for an Alto. I've seen them several times recently and that is where I bought mine. I think I paid $65 (including shipping) used and it was in great shape. I would think it would work well for you. The clips on the one side hold the fabric and the ruler slips over an edge which would hold the ruler. You would probably still need to weigh the end of the ruler down but I think it would make cutting easier for you. Good luck.

Susan
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 AM

I have the studio cutter and a good friend of mine has one as well. We watch for the sales of the dies and then each of us orders them. We do not get the same dies that way we can swap them, also invite friends to come and cut if they like. It is really nice with the strip cutters when you have to cut so many.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 AM

I also have the Altos quilt cut 2 and love it-it has really sped up my cutting and accuracy. I, too have been tempted to get the Go, but I would rather rent the use of one than pay for all of the dies and some of the dies I like are only for the Studio and I certainly can't afford that! Are any quilt store owners listening?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM

I do not have a Go, but my sister has the studio and my mother has the Go. We get together once in awhile to have cutting parties. I would like to get one for myself. I am not a great cutter and it does help. The dies for applique are alot of fun. It is not a must have item, but it is certainly an I want it item.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I have the studio, purchased it on ebay 4 yrs ago for a song and just love it. I will not cut another strip as long as I live. It saves time and my fingers. I have become the strip pattern police. I can now look at a quilt or the cover of a pattern and tell you if it is strip worthy before reading the directions. You think strips what can I do with them. Flying geese,6/9 patch, etc. CozyQuilt has great strip patterns and there are many more patterns/books out there by other authors. So think about it, When you are my mothers age 80 and the rotary cutter begins to intimidate you(after quilting most of her life) the investment is worth every penny. It will be with you for a life time.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM

My mom purchased the rag dies for the studio and just loves them. She had a friend who had surgery on her arm and could not do any cutting for 3mo but she could sew. So she told her to come over and I would cut her quilt out for her. I was done in 20min full size quilt.The look on there faces was priceless. The other plus is after sewing the quilt together you don't have to cut the fringe it is already done just wash and dry.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM

It's expensive but fun! I use the 2 and 2 1/2 inch strip cutter a lot. I can cut squares easily by tuning strips back through the cutter. I would love to buy more dies in the future. It's certainly not a necessity, but I love Mine. Diane C.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM

I can't wait to get mind... should be here today.. Got it from JoAnn's... sale 249.. and dies off the site for 25% off.....