Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart, in works to make changes >

Walmart, in works to make changes

Walmart, in works to make changes

Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by granma1
No one wants to take responsibility for anything. I worked for Sam's. There are so many MNGs. you wouldn't know who to go to. I felt that they didn't care a whit about any of us. One mng. told us the customer is always right, unless they're wrong. I have seen grown male customers opening pkg; of candy for a taste. Where were these people raised? I quit. Best thing I ever did.
Or it is pass the buck until you go away :)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Was at Walmart today and spent $100.00. I noted alot of sale prices on their fabrics (many bolts were $2.50). I purchased 2 yards of Bugs Bunny Christmas fabric ($1.11/yard clearance) for making Christmas gift bags or maybe pillow cases for next year. I buy walmart fabric for making lots of little gifts for friends and it doesn't break the bank. One thing's for sure, if their fabric dept. goes out, I won't be shopping there much. PS: I also patronize my local quilt shops.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM

In the Colonial store inFt. Myers, FL, they took out the fabric and put in projects (grocery type bags, purses, aprons), along with some fat quarters that went up 30 cents last week! Anyway, after I glanced through the sewing area, I was going outside to look at the plants and what do I see? Two 2 clearance aisles with roll after roll of the fabric project packs (looked like the same thing in the back) but a dollar or so cheaper. In other words, these project packs ARE NOT SELLING - whereas the bolt fabric would. I emailed the store and an automated response said they had no plans to change anything at this time. Funny I NEVER see any people buying the jewelery beads either that were brought in when the bolt fabric left. They have to be losing money.... Wonder if they will ever figure it out???
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Our Wal-Mart (10 miles from home) has fabric and the long-time sales lady was spiffing up, cleaning and reorganizing the fabric area - and said they are keeping it. I did notice the prices went up some. For me, it is the only shop within 30 miles with fabric except a small independent and she is quite expensive - so for me the raise in price is still palatable when you figure in gas and time to drive 30 miles to another shop. Even if I drive in the 30 miles to Joann's, that is a small store - and the next major one is another 10 miles across town. The sales ladies at our local WM are local farming wives, and just really a joy to buy from. They will help you with sewing problems, suggest things, just really sort of small town atmosphere.
I have emailed Wal-Mart in the past and got their standard "pat" reply that they have to move with the market.
Marysewfun
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM

I think they need to do more than just bring back fabric they need a major attitude adjustment! I have never meant such rude people! As for getting someone to help you find something or tell you a price. You would have better luck at surviving a walk down a six lane highway!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I try to avoid Walmart. I hate shopping in huge stores, I hate waiting in a 20 deep line at the checkout. And I hate having to park in the boonies to just pick up one thing.
So, I go to my local merchants. The kind of places where you are greeted sincerely, your business is valued, and you can park right out front.
I guess I'm going back to the old way of doing things. Maybe shops being closed on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays will come back too!
Our local shops still do this. Oh and they close at noon on Saturday.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

I used to go to Walmart for fabric because I sew mostly for charity. I would then shop for groceries and things I might need for the house, or an occasional gift. When they stopped carrying fabric, I stopped shopping there. Now they seem to carry precut fabric which is not in the quantity I need for charity. Believe me I never left there without spending $150 in groceries(sometimes more) and another $50 to $100 in fabric. Now nothing.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM

I seldom go in Walmart any more. I used to go a least once a week, and spent over $100. each time. I have also found prices lower at Target. My husband said they got rid of car stuff and fishing stuff, he isn't happy either.

I bet if they got fabric back and those other things, they wouldn't be loosing money.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM

I go to Walmart quite often... today was one of those days!
I have heard from an associate there, that it was being left up to each indvidual store to decide whether or not they would keep the fabric dept. The one I visit has had more fabric added to it and not enough space to put it any where. The ladies see me there and they say they are going to have to call the show "intervention" LOL ya think?!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 PM

My brother works for Walmart and he says they realize their mistake for taking fabric out and is bringing it back. They said their reason is because the Amish ladies quit shopping there.

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I am sending this link, I found on FOX this am... they seem to be suffering a little and planning to bring some things back. Should we contact them and ask about fabric... ??? Worth a try you think???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/06...bound/#content