Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!....Backache!!! >

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Ice packs are good also.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S
Heat and stretching can help. Make a heating pad or one of those microwave shoulder pads your best friend. Something about heat seems to unlock those knotted muscules. Also basic stretching exercises for the entire back really do help. Just be gentle with yourself and stretch only to the point that is comfortable. We've got to keep you quilting, hope you feel better!
Ditto!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM

I remember using the microwave heated pads on my back, and they bring quite a bit of relief - definitely worth a try. Oddly, I have less back trouble now than I did twenty years ago. I'm not sure why because I'm still far too sedentary and somewhat overweight. I have created a sort of "obstacle course" method of forcing myself to move around. Having my computer and sewing machines upstairs has helped because I have to go up and down frequently to let dogs in and out and deal with laundry. The ironing board is in the next room, necessitating frequently getting out of my chair. Also, I put up a pet gate and step over it every time I come in here. It was hard at first but got easier, and this tiny amount of activity has apparently helped my back. I wonder if women had more or less back trouble in the days of treadle-operated machines. Maybe we need treadle operated computers.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM

This used to happen to me too but in my case I found that I had arthritis in my neck and compressed cervical disc... the pain was in my shoulder and down my arm. Not saying that this is your problem.

Found that I needed to do neck exercises and stretches, not bend my head down while on the computer or at my machine. Physical therapy worked miracles.

I hope you just need to stretch your shoulders back.

good luck, it is no fun to be in pain when you want to have joy in quilting.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Originally Posted by Numa
Raise the back of your sewing machine so you are sewing with it tipped. You will be surprised!
This surprises me because I saw the exact opposite advice somewhere not too long ago. Wish I could remember where. They suggested using wedge type rubber door stops to raise the front of the machine. This provides a better sight line into the area you're trying to see, and is supposed to relieve strain on your upper back. I found it inconvenient because the machine tended to slip off the door stops, but it did seem to make it more ergonomic for me, and I was planning to fasten the wedges down some way and try again. I guess my point is, if one way doesn't help, try another?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Sorry you are in pain....heard on Dr Oz..to drink tart cherry juice...may help. Get up move around every 30mins to 60 mins...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 AM

My daughter who has MS swears by yoga. I stand and sew at my kitchen counter where it's just the right height. Sitting too much kills my back.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Table height/chair height match is essential, as others have said. Another factor is eyeglasses. You didn't mention whether you do/don't wear glasses, but if you do, be sure your sewing position is such that you're not having to hold your head in a strained position in order to find the right 'spot' with best focus of your glasses. Strained/sore neck & shoulder muscles are my 'cue' that it's time for an eye exam and some 'thickers.'
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Ive found that trying to reach to far to finish a block or row pulls on my shoulders and back. Even sitting sideways strains to quilt.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Good posture and stretching really do help. Your chair must be the right height to your machine so you are not bending over to sew. A simple exercise to stretch is to raise your arms to shoulder height, bring your hands in to your chest then try to touch your elbows together behind your back. Do this very slowly several times a day.