Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM

if your friend's kids live close enough, i would take them shopping & let them pick... that's what i did w/dgs quilt..

took ddil to quilt shop, let her pick the pattern & the 2 main fabrics... then went back the next day, got enough extra of those 2 to make the crib bumpers etc...

it works out great that way.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Zebra, I agree with you.
ConnieF
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Do the tumbling block, but see if you can buy fabric that matches the design; sheets or curtains & use that as part of the block. Use solid colors that match. That way the quilt will work with the design of the room. If they don't like it, keep it at her house & use it there.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I've emailed my friend (she lives 150miles away) and mentioned possibly incorporating the same fabric in the quilt, in the borders, or the backing, etc. She thinks that's a good idea..
But I'm telling you, there's just no guessing how her son and DIL will react, even if the same fabric is used.
I've seen them dislike something because "now there's just too much of it in the room". AAGGGHHHH.
I agree with the ones here who've said not to make anything, just buy something but I know making a baby quilt is really important to her. So I'll help her on the weekends.
Thank you all for your input.
And cross your fingers. :D
Life is too short to waste thoughts of "what if's". Since it is important to your friend to make the quilt for the darling on the way, then the joy she will get from her efforts may be enough. If the parents choose to use or not use the gift, the child will know that Grandma loved enough to make the quilt.