Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Postage Stamp Quilts >
  • Postage Stamp Quilts

• Postage Stamp Quilts

Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm just now gathering 2" cotton squares to make a postage stamp quilt. I can't wait to get enough to start.
    Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm making one at present but making the squares 2", so maybe it isn't a postage stamp quilt but I made a box of lights and one of darks and alternated using them and some of the mediums are put anywhere but not beside one of the same value. It's looking pretty good so far, but scrappy is scrappy and you can do it any ole way you want.
    Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you do NOT HAVE TO PRE-WASH ALL OF YOUR FABRICS.
    Some people do, some don't-- all make great quilts...the only reason to really (stress) over pre-washing is if you have a fabric that may run (bleed)...and you can test as you go along for those...checking reds (which are the bigest culprits)or handdyes/batiks;;;
    i would not be starting over, there is nothing wrong with the 1 1/2" squares you already have!
    I entirely agree with this. I use to wash every piece that came into my house before it was shelved. I don't bother anymore. It is what it is. If it is a large piece i am using, I usually prewash ... ESPECIALLY reds.
    Go for it!
    Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

This is just beautiful. I'm collecting 1-1.5 inch squares. Missi has a swap going on. I also sew the squares together. Whatever works for you.
    Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 AM

This is on my wish list to do. Good luck.
    Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
    I have always admired these quilts. My understanding is that they are made with 1 1/2" squares, finishing off at 1". I had been collecting 1 1/2" squares forever when I discovered that I had to pre-wash all my fabric. I had MANY other already cut sizes and decided to PIF them here and start over again. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

What I am curious about is do you use any and all cotton fabrics, or do you mix pastels and darks, anything goes, or kind of stick with one type of thing? I want to make one but since I am starting over with scraps again, it will be awhile away.
    See if one of your friends who have the Accuquilter had that size and ask to use it ( at their place ) until you have them all cut out, Natalieg.
    Give them some fabric as a payment. Quilters never say no to fabric.
    Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I've been saving scraps from projects for a postage stamp quilt for several years. The pattern calls for (I think) 7,000 1 1/2 sq. pieces :shock: The paper bag trick is how I'll piece this monstrosity :-)
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM

i thought for 1 inch blocks you started with 2 in blocks. cause if you do 1/4 seams on four sides when sewn wouldn't that be 1 inch so that would leave a inch block. ?? totally confused this late i think
    Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by cr12cats
    i thought for 1 inch blocks you started with 2 in blocks. cause if you do 1/4 seams on four sides when sewn wouldn't that be 1 inch so that would leave a inch block. ?? totally confused this late i think
    If you start with a 2 inch and use a 1/4 inch seam, you will end up with a 1 1/2 inch square.
    Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 AM

I am just started my postage stamp quilt using 2 inch squares. I have made a slight dent in my scrap basket. Once I get this going I will then start a second quilt - a planned one. I was trying to do all scrappy ones until I start a regular one but at this right I will never get my son's quilt started so tomorrow hoping to get his in process...a king size quilt but using 12 1/2 inch blocks. Should go fast. Oops tomorrow is my birthday...kids are stopping by...well maybe next weekend. Washing all the fabics now