Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

my 2 cents! i loved my viking work horse-[i have 3], the company's mang. plant burnt down and they will not remake their molds for the plastic cams that break. the machines are useless. will never buy from them again.
my new home was a work horse- the computer board went out- not cost effective to replace. never again also.
i now own a brother quilter so far so good. the draw back for me it is computerarize---and sews to slow for my taste but has features i really like. i just bought a singer 221 and a [222 unseen as of now] for pieceing [i hate piecing] a innova for quilting- love it. just my 2 cents from years of sewing.
phyllis nm
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by jemma
watch out that a pfaff is made in europe not asia----too many bad reports----i was a pfaff tragic but wavering to wards the horizon good reports about that one
Love my Horizon, Jemma.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I have the Horizon 7700

What do I love about it? Everything. It has an 11 inch harp opening, it has the Accufeed system, it has tons of great stitches, it is really easy to use. It has a low bobbin sensor. It has the ability to clip your thread right at the fabric, right after it ties the knot. Gotta love that. It is really fun. I chose it over the 6600 because of the harp size and the free arm.

What I don't love about it? Is that I don't have enough time recently to play with it.

I paid a total of $2100 for it, including the special table, acrylic insert and acrylic table extender and tax. He through in a bunch of bobbins, some special feet and a great pamphlet on the anatomy of a needle.

This is my second Janome (third, if you count my New Home) and I can't imagine having any other brand.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM

gellybean -- I wish I could find a Viking 1+ for $700.00. I love mine so much, I would think of buying another just to keep for spare parts. Too bad they have stopped manufacturing and no longer stock any replacement parts.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM

I recently completed my own exhaustive search for a new machine. I visited machine dealers, did internet study and comparison, etc. I was down to the choice of newest in the line of Viking/Husqvarna or the Janome Horizon 7700. I ultimately chose the Janome and so far, I just LOVE it. I chose it for: Knee lifter; Auto thread (upper & lower) cutter; Lots of feet and accessories including cover, instructional CD and acrylic work table that attaches to the machine; stitches like a dream; Lots of decorative stitches & alphabet; needle threaded; 10” throat space; sews quietly; easy to adjust sewing speed; lock in stitches; needle up/down at a touch of a button; can save stitch patterns; very responsive touch screen; user friendly; heavy duty metal machine, industrial motor and more!

Make a list of the options you want, and then do the research. Get out and visit several dealers and actually sit down and try a number of the machines out to see which one is most comfortable to you. Then buy your machine at a reputable trusted dealer.

I bought my machine new at $ 2499.99.

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I have a Pfaff 2170 and others but use it the most.
Pros----It has the IDT which I LOVE, lots of stitches and can also embroider. I love the way it sews. Also has needle down, the presser foot can raise automatically if you want it to, it has a knee lift you can use. auto-thread cutter, low bobbin sensor. I know I'm forgetting something.
Cons----It's presser foot lifter is on the right side of the needle housing instead of in the back. It's in the way and when I'm trying to move a quilt around under the needle the fabric will bump into the presser foot lever and knock it down again and again. Very irritating. When I bought it I didn't think it would bother me but it does.
Also I don't often use the embroidery unit. I use my Janome 350e instead.
Price---I bought it used for about $2500.
Would I buy the 2170 again? Probably not since I don't use the embroidery unit. But would I buy a Pfaff for the sewing and IDT? Yes
I have a 2170, too and I love it! I've gotten so used to the presser foot lifter being on the right side it doesn't bother me. For me, the IDT is the deal breaker. Other machines have great features as well, but that even feed, even when I'm just piecing is worth it to me. I paid some where around 3000 several years ago. I use the embroidery ALOT, but if the IDT weren't so important to me, I've been VERY impressed with the Brother sttich quality and the embroidery. I used the machines in the shop where I used to work. You might want to check them out, too. Not as expensive as a Pfaff, Viking, Bernina, but suprisingly nice.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM

I too have a Pfaff 2144 upgraded to a 2170. I could not imaqine sewing without the IDT. I do a lot of embroidery and love the needle down, auto cut, really everything. It is so easy to sew on. The software it uses is so good. You can get some of the older 3D software, which is what I use, and it works great.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
I have the Horizon 7700

What do I love about it?
It has a low bobbin sensor.
Low bobbin sensor? There's no low bobbin sensor on the Horizon..not on mine anyway :)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Husquvarna Viking Sapphire 855. Paid approx. $1700 and I really like it. Use it for FMQ and the 10" throat is a dream to work with.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM

1.) What machine you have
Janome Memory Craft 6500.
and Juki 2000 Qi

2.) What you love about it
I love it because it came with all the different foot attachments, easy to understand book, and it is very smooth and quite. It has all the stuff you love... needle threader, top load bobbin, clear bobbin cover, so you can see how low your bobbin is getting. thread cutter, it does just enough decorator stitches to suit me and make me look professional, and easy to use also.

The Juki is what I use on my quilting frame. It is a very nice and simple and fast machine. Loves it oil. Does a beautiful stitch. Has a threader and cutter on it..

3.) What you don't love about it
Janeome I can not think of anything I do not like about it.. It is heavy so I would not like to carry it around so I do not.. LOL..

The Juki, loves its oil, its bobbin is hard to reach at time. does not have any of the sensors on the bobbins or anything.

4.) How much you paid for it
Janome is about 5 years old I pd $2500.00
the Juki is new less than a year old. $1000.00

Good luck , and most important is cut yourself some sandwiches of material and stick them in a zipper bag in your purse and go try out some machines. material you want to use when you are sewing. if it is denim, then do denim, if silk, then silk .. or all kinds.