Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mug Rugs~ Do you actually use them? >
  • Mug Rugs~ Do you actually use them?

• Mug Rugs~ Do you actually use them?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mom dusty
    Originally Posted by Beachbound
    I made my first mug rugs today & thought they were cute and easy to do. They are a great way to use up scraps but will they actually get used? I can see having one on your desk at work or a side table. I even thought of making them bigger as snack mats for kids. It would store in a diaper bag pretty easy to have a clean spot to put goldfishies out when you stop at a resturant or park picnic table. How do you use them & who do you give them to?
    Your idea made me think ... at a restarant today my water glass dripped water down my blouse... condensation you know, so I am going to make some to take out to eat. That should help, right?
    Wow, for a minute there I thought you were going to suggest making a 'rug' to cover your um ... shelf? (That's what my mom always called it because everything landed there! This would be harder to make because there are so many different sizes of 'shelves' amoungst us gals!) LOL

Thanks for making me think of mom ... 5 years and I still miss her!
    Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mom dusty
    Originally Posted by Beachbound
    I made my first mug rugs today & thought they were cute and easy to do. They are a great way to use up scraps but will they actually get used? I can see having one on your desk at work or a side table. I even thought of making them bigger as snack mats for kids. It would store in a diaper bag pretty easy to have a clean spot to put goldfishies out when you stop at a resturant or park picnic table. How do you use them & who do you give them to?
    Your idea made me think ... at a restarant today my water glass dripped water down my blouse... condensation you know, so I am going to make some to take out to eat. That should help, right?
    That's a great idea! My friend swears by putting salt on the napkin. Doesn't work for me!
    Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM

I went to someones house a few weeks ago, don't get me wrong on this oK? but she had a beautiful table, marble top, and I out my drink on her table, there were no coasters or anything, yeah I know marble, you don't have to worry about rings and things, But at that time I still would have loved to have a "mug rug,coaster or something! so I will be carrying my own mug rug from now on!
    I like them and am learning how to make them too.
    Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by LaRae
    Oh, I use mine all the time. Has anyone made them from clothesline and fabric? That is how I make mine and it will absorb anything that drips from your glass or cup.

Just wrap strips of fabric around cotton clothesline rope and sew in a circle with a zigzag stitch. Done in no time! I will have to do a demo on it if anyone is interested.

You can make them as big as you want or as small as you want. These make the best hot pads to set a hot pan or dish on.

LaRae, do you need to use a heavy duty needle when sewing on this rope?

I am sure everyone would have hard time finding scrap fabric to use...:)
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Never made one ,next projest
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a dozen in a box on the coffee table. We all used them.
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM

For the clothesline mug rugs you just use a regular large 90/14 needle. This idea can be found in the book, "It's a Wrap" by Susan Breier. It is well worth getting the book. She also has another book called "It's A Wrap II" that has even more wonderful ideas.

It basically is just wrapping narrow strips of fabric around clothesline rope and sewing it in a circle with your sewing machine. The book has all kinds of tips and ideas.
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM

There is a cute tutorial for MugRugs at: I'm Just a Guy Who Quilts: Dresden Mug Rug Tutorial - by Ryan Walsh. I can't wait to make it.
    Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Hi Dodie,

I have one on my computer desk and one on my side table in the living room. I love making them like you do, also.

Here are some snack mats I make for my grandkids...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-127900-1.htm
    Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    I think that ideally you put insulbrite inside of them so that a hot drink does not transfer heat to the piece of furniture. It will also stop the transfer of moisture.
    I just put regular batting in between... just consider them to be a mini quilt. Works fine for dribbles, absorbing heat and in my DH case it is a noise breaker.