Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding?? >

Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding??

Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding??

Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzz
LOL... I've read enough posts to know that a bunch of you actually hate the binding process. I admit that binding with the sewing machine is a little intimidating to me. But I found that doing it by hand is fun and makes me feel like I can accomplish something. Probably because it's the last step of finishing a quilt and I found out on this board, I am a "topper." I don't finish too many of my quilts. My tops get hung and I admire them as works of art.

I'm not quite sure if I am actually good at my binding. It works for me and I think it's a great project to have when I just want to sit around and watch (listen) to the TV. Never thought of trading with someone for maybe simple machine quilting. Maybe a great way to meet more quilting friends!!
YES I THINK YOU ARE WEIRD TO LOVE BINDING.LOL I WOULD DO ANY PART OF A QUILT BUT BINDING IF I COULD AFFORD MY CHOICE.LIKE HOUSE CLEANING I WOULD DO OVEN,REFRIGERATOR FLOORS ANYTHING BUT DUSTING.I HATE DUSTING ANYTHING.LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Banned

I have always hand finished my bindings,and they look nice. I like to have several ready then I sit and do them in the evenings as I watch tv with hubby.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:43 AM

I have never minded doing the binding at all, because it is the last step to finishing the quilt. I don't however enjoy binding a pot holder, or anything small. I like to do a bias seam when I join the ends of the binding, and there is never enough room to do it easily........but maybe there is a better way.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 AM

I am so glad you asked, and so glad to see so many that do like it. I thought I was weird too LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 AM

Sewing on binding is so satisfying. It's easy, relaxing and signifies completion of the quilt, which is wonderful.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 AM
C.

I really enjoy handstitching the binding to the back of the quilt. I do it in the evenings sitting with hubby watching tv, I find it so relaxing and yes, gratifying that the quilt is in the final stages. And hand stitching it gives it that professional look that I like............
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Weenween
YES, I THINK YOU ARE WEIRD TO LOVE BINDING.LOL I WOULD DO ANY PART OF A QUILT BUT BINDING IF I COULD AFFORD MY CHOICE.LIKE HOUSE CLEANING I WOULD DO OVEN,REFRIGERATOR FLOORS ANYTHING BUT DUSTING.I HATE DUSTING ANYTHING.LOL
Off topic, I know, but I also hate dusting ... with a passion. I've found if I leave one disposable duster (like Swiffer) stuck out of sight in each room, I'm more likely to grab it up and dust a bit, rather than having the job of dusting the whole house on my "to do" list. Occasionally, I actually bring out the furniture polish and do a proper job, though. For that I have to wait for the mood to hit me and it's not very often.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ann912
Originally Posted by johanka
I have always liked to sew the binding on.
Me too.
Me too!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I always sew my bindings by hand, I love everything about making quilts, sewing the bindings on just means I'm almost ready to start another.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 AM

I love this post - YES - I am weird too! Sitting snuggled under an almost-finished quilt and getting to do that last bit of stitching till you sew in that last bit of thread. Now that is my idea of heaven. TA DA! the quilt is finished. I even do binding for others who don't enjoy it.