Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
type in "casket quilts" into search and you will find lots of information including a company that will make them.
Not quite sure why we'd need an outside company to make one ... we're all quite capable!

Also, I don't understand why many are talking about makin gone specifically for the casket ... why not use one of your favourite ones that had been used while alive?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Thats a wonderful idea, don't know why others don't do it. When my MIL passed away we asked that no one bought flowers for the casket but to donate in her memory to the cancer society. We only had one casket cover of real flowers from the immediate family. We also filled her viewing room with posters of family pictures, I never thought about my quilt being placed on there that I was working on for her.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've told my kids that I want to be cremated, after the doctors have used whatever parts of my body I'm through with, then I want my kids to hurl my ashes at whatever neighbor I'm mad at at that time. The rest I want put in the mountains in Yosemite where my late DH and I back packed on our honeymoon. Or else in my dear Milton, WV hills where I spent my childhood, wondering over those green, green hills.
this is freakin hilarious, except swipe that with coworkers and I'd be spot on
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Willa
Originally Posted by New Quilter
Here in So. Jersey, most people choose to send most of the baskets of flowers to area nursing homes (as well as to churches if it'll be close to a Sunday service)...so at least the flowers are given the chance to be enjoyed be others
I always thought that was a nice idea also till mom was in a nursing home. The residents, whenever they saw flowers, would ask who died and then they got really sad.
Nursing homes in my area don't care for funeral flowers for that reason too.

piney
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM

I think that is a wonderful idea. Thank you.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM

I think it's a great idea.
One of my friends made her SIL a small breast cancer quilt, but it didn't arrive before she passed. So they laid the quilt on her casket. My friend said everyone thought it was a beautiful addition to such a sad occasion.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've told my kids that I want to be cremated, after the doctors have used whatever parts of my body I'm through with, then I want my kids to hurl my ashes at whatever neighbor I'm mad at at that time. The rest I want put in the mountains in Yosemite where my late DH and I back packed on our honeymoon. Or else in my dear Milton, WV hills where I spent my childhood, wondering over those green, green hills.
My Late DH was cremated, and his ashes spread in the mountains of Idaho where he loved to hunt and fish. I just couldn't put him in a jar or container and keep him in the house. He is free now and has no more pain...
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
One of the most beautiful quilts i ever saw at a quilt show was a coffin quilt made by a woman in the 1700's. That was the day I fell in love with crazy quilts -- it was a lift quilt. Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 AM

I made my uncle a memory quilt that all his children and grand-kids could put messages on a quilt blocks as i made enough blocks for each of his kids which were 7 kids then i made another 7 so the grandkids could do it also then i made one for his wife to do the same .when he was at the funeral home they put it at the end of the casket to show off the quilt. and she took the quilt home after that to remember him by.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 AM

I love your idea~! Actually my sister and I both came up with the same idea.... one yellow rose for each child and one for each grandchild. I am not fond of cut flowers as they die so quickly. I know the cost of flowers can easily be spend elsewhere...on my kids or grandkids. The quilt is a nice thought and I like it.