Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 AM

:oops:
Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 AM

I hate this part too. But I just keep telling myslef it will soon be over.....it will soon be over.....it will soon be over....
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I can't handle the floor, either. I don't make really large quilts so this works for me. I lay as much of the quilt as will fit on the table and tape it down. What doesn't fit gets taped to the underside of the table. I pin what is on the table and then I remove the tape, move the quilt over for the remainder and tape again. It seems to work pretty well. Might be a problem for a king or queen but I think it would work for pretty much anything else.
I do the same thing! I hate crawling on the floor to baste, so I use a couple of card tables. I just purchased a larger folding table, so hopefully that will be even better.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Who has a table large enough!? I took my project up to my church's fellowship hall and put together several tables to get a large enough surface. Then I climbed on top to get to the center to start basting. I'm 60 years old - not so young and not so old. It still was a challenge but I got it done. I don't think I'll be making anything as large as a queen-size spread again, though!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM

It's my least favorite part because of the back ache I get.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
I forgot about this method that Sharon Schamber demos. I think it looks great, BUT if you have anything bigger than a lap, I dont know where I would be able to manuever boards large enough...that is part of the problem..space. Even if I got the large boards, I would need to try to haul them in a car to a library or school.

I saw a method somewhere that looked great. She did it all on a wall(I think she had applied ceiling tiles to the wall), put up newspapers and spray basted the whole thing. I cant remember where, but once again I dont have the wall space to do a large one.
Originally Posted by LyndaOH
You should try the Sharon Schamber method. I'll go grab the youtube link.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Really helpful!

Here is the link for spray basting on the wall, by Patsy Thompson. This is what I will be doing, but I am going to put the foam insulation 4x8 sheets. http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-video/
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM

I have a big laundry table. It is long but it is not wide. I center the backing material, and clip it to the table with big clips (I think you could get some at staples) After I get it all smooth, I put on the batting, and the the top, pin the top, and then move the quilt along each side (one side at a time) I works out pretty well, but I do hate it too.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM

:D I also have a space problem and have used my king sized bed successfully. However it still kills my back leaning in to the center to pin when making a queen or king quilt. I have asked my local library if I can use their meeting room if it is available and they usually have workshop tables that I can put together. This works the best for me. Also I too, have switched to spray. It's been fabulous. I don't have to used too much and it really holds well. I then place a few strategic pins for extra security. It cuts down my "sandwiching" time by 75%. I also use masking tape to tape the backing and batting down to the tables. This make it much easier as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Hate making quilt sandwiches also. :twisted:
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM

Sandwiching is definitely my least favorite part. My DH usually helps me with the larger quilts.