What are your other hobbies?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 AM

My wife had a starter for 8-10 years. When we traveled for over a week one of the daughters was assigned to baby sit. They eventually had their own families and it became a hassle to find a babysitter. She even coaxed a church friend to babysit it. It eventually became too much of a hassle so she gave it up. I miss the Monday cinnamon rolls.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
Here is a youtube of a sock knitting machine in operation. they are fun, but can have a steep learning curve to making a heel & toe successfully. After you learn, it becomes smooth sailing. Never thought I would have more than one machine, but its like SMAD, they start multipling! Mine are all antiques, but I know of 2 companies that are making new ones......1 in New Zealand and 1 in Cape Girardeau, MO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uvL_KUq7Pg
That's really cool!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM

You're really tempting me to try the sourdough Tammi. I do want to learn to bake a good bread.
Rodney
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM

Default Other hobbies

Collecting vtg/ant machines since 1968 and being introduced to quilting a year ago, I love woodworking and metal fabrication. Been doing woodworking for 55 yrs. and metal working for 20 yrs. My smallest project in woodworking are bird houses & whirligigs and the largest is a 2700 sq.ft. home that I designed and built over a 2 yr. span with the help of my wife and B-I-L 35 yrs. ago. I also designed and built a 1000sq. ft. shop housing all my tool. I have several tools my dad used back in the 1940/50's on display in my shop-sort of a memorial to Dad-and still have his 1949 King Seeley (Sears,Roebuck& Co) band saw that still works with an old 1725 rpm washing machine motor although I only use my big Delta band saw now days. I do a little art work when bored with the other hobbies and have donated bird houses with 6 panel oil painted landscape scenes and acrylic on another one and donated them to our local Habitat and Oncoloy organization auctions . I just jump from project to project as the mood strikes.

Soman2
The other Rodney
Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 PM

Having received some of Rodney's woodwork I can say his work is exceptional. 55 years of experience shows.
Rodney
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Woodworking is one of those things I've always wanted to do. I plonk around a little here and there but I find I get worked over by some of the tools so the projects are "just OK" in most cases. I've been yanked across projects by my router. That's the next one on my list to learn to use properly. I did find out I would have been happier cutting the hole for my sewing machine out of real wood than out of particle board - I'm told it was the glue I was fighting more than the wood and why I kept getting pulled everywhere even with guides in place. I suspect it also has something to do with why my bit kept loosening then cutting way too deep until I saw the bit had loosened.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM

Well I am a quilter first and foremost, I used to crochet, knit, scrapbooking with photo albums also worked with crystal shapes and made sun catchers. I have tried getting rid of most of my hobbies other than quilting I do not seem to be as motivated to do them and the knitting bothers my shoulders if I do it for a period of time.