What are your other hobbies?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Default What are your other hobbies?

I saw someone posting about their jigsaw puzzle addiction and it rang a bell for me. I wonder how many of us have similar hobbies?

Just a year ago before Christmas I was just starting in with my interest in vintage machines and knew I wanted to learn to quilt. It was last years resolution. I made my first quilt last year start to finish and now can safely say I am a quilter. ) My sister in law saw how many sewing/quilting things I had asked for that previous Christmas and asked me with concern "how do you know you'll like it?" Easy, it incorporates all the things I love!

I like sewing, jigsaw puzzles, brain teasers, researching stuff, and vintage machines. I'm a crafter, I love attention to detail, I'm a perfectionist and can get a little OCD sometimes. I also have a tendancy to collect and to be drawn to the unusual. I have kept parrots, and have less than the usual breed dogs...a Chinese Crested (hairless) and Havanese (cuban). One of my past hobbies was building 1/12 scale dollhouses.

What about everyone else?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Piano, fantasy football, reading.
I used to build doll houses too. I hope to pick it up again someday now that we have a bigger home and more room for things like that.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 AM

Making soy candles, raising few chickens, gardening, and old time movies. Im more busy now in retirement than when I was raising kids and working. I used to crochet doilies and table cloths but good ole Arthur came for a visit. Now im working on building a heritage memory box for my family members which they will get some day. Till then I have 4 dogs, 1 ancient cat and 8 chickens-4 very large raised garden beds, a son and a grandson and a DH who I cook for and tend too. My life isn't complicated, just busy being full of many blessings.

Last edited by lildinks2013; 01-11-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 AM

when I take time off from quilting(lol) I also knit,crochet,embroider,counted cross stitch,needleturn applique.I stay so busy that sometimes I wish I was not addicted to all kinds of hand work.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Gardening, woodworking, crochet, quilting, reading. There are lots of things I like to do but don't consider them hobbies like: working on my old house, building houses with HFH, old cars, dresses for DGD, writing the occasional story, making broken thing work. Yeah, I stay busy.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Too many to list but quilting holds my interest the best.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

When I want to do something other than quilting I am an avid wool rug hooker, I also do locker hooking, punch needle and sometimes I just want to knit or crochet something. I do a lot of different crafts thought the year but quilting and rug making consume the most of my time
Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 AM

Woodworking, vintage woodworking machinery,it has all the same attractions as vintage sewing machines though the machines are larger and heavier, gardening, though I'm pretty bad at it, and beekeeping.

I started with vintage sewing machines and quilting because Olivia wants to learn to sew. It turns out I like it as much if not more than she does. It fills the need for something I can do in the winter. Since my heavy lifting days are done the sewing machines fill the gap left by having a shop full of woodworking machines and not being able to handle them like I once did. I can run them but rebuilding them is much more difficult now. I also get cold very easily and my shop isn't heated. I can mess with old sewing machines indoors.
Rodney
Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Fishing. nothing better than a fish fry of fresh caught bluegills.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 AM

I'm like rodney , life time of woodworking, Damn as it now turns out yeppers my tooling there is vintage ( new tools) the old stuff goes down as antique .

In the other side it's all metal banging bending . Then stick it back together, again thats all vintage, antique junk. even the machine that make steel smaller. I haven't repair this one yet , it does work

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505626[/ATTACH]

not sure gardening is a hobby as much as it's away of life. Now days a supply of editable food.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505625[/ATTACH]

when I am at a loss for hobbies, I revert back to the 70's and do this. don't cry I sold my yougo for a wego

I mean we do need a vintage sewing machine getting machine right ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505627[/ATTACH]

on day I'm bored and out of quilting thread . the hobby turns to watching That cat, Trukeys, deer, mowing grass, digging ditches. course I pay a lazy guy to do all that along with going after and cleaning all my machines . He works cheap.

The upcoming hobby is inventing a machine that picks up thread from the floor, puts it back together in a long enough piece to reuse. right after I bungie jump from a Hot air balloon.
or stop hanging out on sewing machine web sites posting useless photo's. butt it sure is warmer sitting by the heater .
Attached Thumbnails 100_9505.jpg   100_8835.jpg   100_9953.jpg   100_9577.jpg