Sewing Machine Work Stand

Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 AM

John, you are absolutely brilliant - an artist and a craftsman. Are you an engineer in real life?

I hope you decide to make these and offer them for sale! Get your patent.

There is no way I could ever get one built, but I know I need one. It's so difficult for me to tip, tilt, and flip my machines around while trying to clean, oil, and learn about them. The more I learn on this board, the more investigating I have to do.

Just to go with the "wish for it and it may appear" theme ... I would like to put in my dream order right now for one bench top model complete with baseboards for a 1954 Singer model 15-91, a 1952 Pfaff model 130-6, and a 1975 Singer Fashion Mate model 252! I think they could all use the same baseboard, but I'm not certain. I could skip the Fashion Mate one if necessary.

I can wait, years and years if necessary, but I need one.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 AM

I built a much simpler flat stand. It's not near as nice as Jon & Janey's but it works. Theirs is a Rolls Royce. Mine is more of a beat up Yugo with a mismatched door.
I have my camera cord. I have batteries. Now I just need to figure out what I did with the camera. I had it in my hands two days ago.
There's nothing else I can add about that here. Uhggg.
Rodney
Old 09-27-2015, 04:56 PM

Rodney, Rodney, Rodney,
what are we going to do with you? LOL Someone needs to make you a case and tethers/lanyards for your camera and accessories. You have a lot of catching up to do when you get them all together

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 AM

It gets worse. I have the camera now. The cord I thought I had is actually for something else.
Yes, I'll probably be spending days catching up.
Rodney
Old 09-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Rodney, you have promised ups so many pictures, look what we are missing out on, now find that cord! Please
Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 AM

Featherweight Turnover

We have a new addition to our collection of baseboards for the sewing machine work stand.

(Featherweight - Upside Down)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532480[/ATTACH]

I've been thinking for a long time about how to mount a Featherweight in our work stand. All of the ideas involved having the bed flush with the baseboard, as with all of the other machines. Because of the 221's extension that lifts up, the need for bobbin access and several other mounting issues, I finally decided to mount it from the bottom instead. Now that it's done, I can see that it's both better and simpler to do it this way.

I made a template for the shaped recessed edge which will hold the Featherweight base. I then routed the outline into the baseboard material, very much like I showed with another baseboard earlier in this thread.

(Featherweight Baseboard Parts)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532481[/ATTACH]

The Featherweight offers a convenient means of mounting in the work stand, using the threaded peg that holds the bottom cover on. It is easily strong enough to hold the machine's weight and makes it simple to fashion a retaining clamp. The clamp holds the machine securely in the work stand from the bottom.

The clamp was made from 1 x 3 wood stock, cut and sanded to shape. For the metal bar that goes onto the threaded peg I thought it would be particularly appropriate to use aluminum. I had a short piece of 1/8 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide bar material that I used.

(Finished Featherweight Baseboard)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532482[/ATTACH]

Here the stand is set up and ready to receive the Featherweight machine.

(Work Stand Ready For Featherweight)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532483[/ATTACH]

The bottom cover must be removed from the Featherweight prior to placing it in the work stand. After placing the Featherweight in the stand, the clamp is secured underneath, using the same thumbnut that was used to hold the bottom cover in place.

(Bottom View - Clamp)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532484[/ATTACH]

The clamp is remarkably unobtrusive, allowing easy access to all areas of the underside that might require service or inspection.

Here's what the Featherweight looks like in the work stand and rotated to an upright position.

(Featherweight Upright)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532485[/ATTACH]

Had it been finished, we could have used this a couple of weeks ago. This is the same machine that we posted about that was having trouble turning easily. Perhaps this baseboard can help with work on the next Featherweight. I mean, you know, in case such an unlikely thing were to happen. Maybe a white one?

John
Attached Thumbnails featherweightupsidedown2.jpg   fwbaseboardparts.jpg   finished221baseboard.jpg   readyforfeatherweight.jpg   featherweightbottom.jpg  

featherweightupright.jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Build it and they will come?
Very nice looking fixture.
Rodney
Old 10-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

Brilliant. Another item added to my must have list. My house is on the market now, hint hint.

Cari
Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Well that is awesome, great going. I am dreaming of one of those swings in my front room!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:20 PM

John, I agree with Cari. Brilliant. Sorry I haven't communicated lately to thank you and say how that your tutorials are fantastic! Some of the details had my head spinning though. Way over my head, but I certainly appreciate the brilliance of the concept, your willingness to share and ability to articulate.