Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Upset!! >

I'm Upset!!

I'm Upset!!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
My goodness! What does a $10000 sewing machine do? You know, I have my little featherweight that I bought in the early 50's, my very first machine. I've made clothing, drapery, bedding, quilts, and leather carseats. I think I paid $200 for it, a lot of money back then. The salesman said to me, "never get rid of this one, it will always be worth what you are paying for it". Now, I've had a few more machines since that I used a lot, but I still have that first one, and I still use it sometimes, and from what I see, it is still worth what I paid for it. But I WOULD like to know what $10000 gets you.
Go to a sewing machine dealer and see what $10000 gets you. I was astounded by what these machines do now. And my machine was only 11 or 12 years old... The new machines are amazing and what I guess is most important is that you're not limited creatively. You can DO anything on them.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by clem55
My goodness! What does a $10000 sewing machine do? You know, I have my little featherweight that I bought in the early 50's, my very first machine. I've made clothing, drapery, bedding, quilts, and leather carseats. I think I paid $200 for it, a lot of money back then. The salesman said to me, "never get rid of this one, it will always be worth what you are paying for it". Now, I've had a few more machines since that I used a lot, but I still have that first one, and I still use it sometimes, and from what I see, it is still worth what I paid for it. But I WOULD like to know what $10000 gets you.
Go to a sewing machine dealer and see what $10000 gets you. I was astounded by what these machines do now. And my machine was only 11 or 12 years old... The new machines are amazing and what I guess is most important is that you're not limited creatively. You can DO anything on them.
Do they also do the housework and cooking for that price? ;)
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg
Marie has been sewing for years. I have been seeing her more on the Janome website & I think she had a quilt design contest sometime last year using her fabric line.

Didn't Elanore Burns also recently get dropped by the sewing machine mfr she used to endorse too? I think now she uses BabyLock? Changes are constant.
I heard Fons and Porter aren't representing Bernina anymore, either!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
whether we personally like celebrities or not, we at least remember who they are, which is what marketing folks are all about...Why does Eleanor throw things over her shoulder? Not a lot of people know, but most quilters who have seen her show know who she is by that action...Does Marie Osmond sew and quilt, who cares...lots of people know who she is from her musical career and for that reason many will connect with the product she endorses...and marketing people like folks who remember their "front man". I have my favorites and my un-favorites, but still need to make decisions based on facts, not faces.
We;ve all got opinions, I appreciate being able to share them with the group and can only say that I'm the only one responsible for the way I feel about the ones I read...I'm sure no one intentionally says anything here that is intended to put anyone down.
I agree that it's all about marketing. The sewing machine company's must have done research and focus groups to see if a celebrity endorsement would "pay off" - they're not just going to throw money at a celebrity for no reason. But I can't imagine who they asked, when on this blog - whether we like Marie or Martha or not - we all seem to agree we don't care WHO endorses a machine! (And , I can't imagine she actually eats prepackaged microwavable food either!! LOL)
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Next time you are near your Bernina dealer, just check out their newist emb. machine - IT sells for 10K and I think there are alot of add-ons you could get, too! --------- our first house was 10K and IT had a bathroom!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I love Marie Osmond. She didn't fire Kaye, Janome did. Marie sews and has her own line of beautiful quilting fabric. All of you have seemed so nice until you talk about Marie. Shame on you.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Next time you are near your Bernina dealer, just check out their newist emb. machine - IT sells for 10K and I think there are alot of add-ons you could get, too! --------- our first house was 10K and IT had a bathroom!
In 2005, I was looking at a $7K Bernina. Was very impressed, but settled on a Viking w/embroidery. Now, the $379. Brother @ Wal-Mart not only does embroidery, but it has the self-threading feature too. That's technology for you!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM

What makes a "celebrity" a celebrity anyway??? Just because they are well know all over the world doesn't make them a "celebrity". JMO
I agree with you that I buy what I want to fit my needs and pocketbook, whether it is endorsed or not. Silvia
Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 PM

I love Kaye Wood to, she and Eleanor Burns are the ones that gave me the bug for quilting. I wouldn't buy any product just because a celebrity has their name on it. Hasn't it been only 2 or 3 years since Marie Osmond was with Bernina?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 PM

I'd be afraid if I were MO that I'd get all that makeup on my fabrics.