Are you retired?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 AM

I didn't go to work until my youngest was in the last half of grammar school......worked a few small jobs and then ran for office in town..won and worked for ten years. Probably would have worked longer had hubby not retired.
Didn't like getting up and going to work and seeing him home all day......took an early retirement in '89 and been loving it ever since.
Don't know how I ever found the time to go to work!!!
Hubby and I do enjoy each other but both have our own individual interests.........
Old 06-19-2010, 03:51 AM

I totally retired in 2009. Have loved every minute. However, I am about to start Homesteading as of today. Tons of hard work ahead of me, but I am so looking foward to it.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I can't wait. Unfortunately, I don't get to retire until Sep 30, 2013 (3 years & 3.5 months).
Sounds like me...I've got about that long before I can do the same...but I'll probably keep working just enough to keep myself in fabric for quilts...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM

I retired pretty young age 50 but had to have disc surgery because of job & DH said we could make it with out my salary so I never went to the most awful job anybody could have. The work enviroment & the back stabbing, brown nosing bunch of withes (I say that lovingly) I had to work with were taking a major toll on me. I had worked there for almost 30 years from High school on & when I look back I could have kicked myself for not finishing college & getting a law degree like I wanted to or pursed a career in art & design. I have a few regrets but I love getting to stay home with my babies & being a football mom keeps me ultra busy as well as all the other things they are involved in. When Dh retires it is gonna be tough but I will let him be MR Mom & run the house & I will sew & have fun.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 AM

I wish I was retired. I have quite a few years to go yet, more now that my 401K took such a hit. Oh well, that's life! :-D
Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I can't wait. Unfortunately, I don't get to retire until Sep 30, 2013 (3 years & 3.5 months).
I'm with you Laurie!! I can retire July 14th, 2013.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 AM

I hear you sharon b. I just started a new job last month after being out of work for almost 18 months. For some reason, while I was out, I didn't quilt. But I am back into it now, with my friends. I hope you find a new job soon. Keep a positive outlook. I know it's hard, but try to do it. I told myself I could only worry for 5 minutes a day. It worked most of the time. I also kept telling myself "I have enough for today." That helped me stop worrying about the future. The hardest part was having faith that when I needed something, it would be there. But I found having this faith in the universe or God or whatever you want to call it, really works, but you have to believe it. I wish you all the best in your job search. You are not alone.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 AM

I retired in 1993 and have not missed it one bit. I worked as a nurse for 37 yrs and left do to allergy to latex of all things. My DH retired two years later as he hated his job. We were not old enough for SS at that time but things have worked out for the best. I sew and quilt every day, have a great group of ladies to quilt with and enjoy our ever growing family. Kids and grandkids are all grown up and we are starting on great grands. LOL
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I only wish we could retire. I have been out of work for almost 15 months. Went back to school for Microsoft Office Suite certification and am now looking for a whole new career.. I wish we could retire.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM

I retired from teaching at 53 after 30 years in the classroom. I love being retired! I think that I had to be more organized when I was working. Oh, well, I still love retirement.