C pap users

Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I don't have a problem with dry skin so I don't know what to suggest. I can't see that moisturizer on skin that doesn't contact the mask would be a problem tho.
I'm sure you will get helpful suggestions from others here. Hugs and smiles.
Thank you for your thoughts. It's been a particularly dry season here lately, probably why I'm really noticing it. I agree with you, and will at least start using some moisturizer on the rest of my face. Guess I've been overlooking the obvious! :oops: :roll:

Hugs and smiles back at ya! :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 PM

After several years of using a c-pap, I've never had dry skin. Of course my skin is naturally oily, so this may be why. And I've not been really faithful on washing my face before using it, either. So makeup, no makeup, lotion, etc, makes no difference to me. When I feel like taking a nap I go into the bedroom and put it on and go to sleep! Hope you figure it out. Have a great evening!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
After several years of using a c-pap, I've never had dry skin. Of course my skin is naturally oily, so this may be why. And I've not been really faithful on washing my face before using it, either. So makeup, no makeup, lotion, etc, makes no difference to me. When I feel like taking a nap I go into the bedroom and put it on and go to sleep! Hope you figure it out. Have a great evening!
Wow, that's great to hear! Maybe the mfgs are making the seals better and all of our lotions etc. might not make such a difference. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me. There's hope after all! :thumbup:
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM

My chin strap doesn't completely keep me from slobbering, I might try your method. The strap they used on me when I was tested for sleep apnea was just a strap with velcro and it worked better than the strap that I got with my C-Pap machine.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 AM

I wear a full face mask with a humidifier attached to the machine. That way I don't have to worry about the mouth - breathing. I was getting pressure sores on the forehead and bridge of the nose, but found that a polar fleece ski headband worn under the head straps etc. has fixed this.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Okay - I'll confess. I have a REALLY bad habit of NOT washing my face at night (I know, I know). My mask gets dirty, so I wash it. I used my last mask for 1 1/2 yrs......no problem. I DO believe the ins. companies want you to buy more so they have an excuse to charge more!!!!! I change my nasal cushions more often, for sure, but NOT once a week. I also do not wash all the equipment every day!!!!!!!!! I'm lazy - I'd rather be quilting. okay - enough confessions......LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 AM

I have oily skin, also, so don't notice dryness around my nose. My C Pap has a humidifier and there's a heater in it, but I can't use the heater because the machine starts "sputtering water" if I turn it very high, so I have to turn it down and use it that way. I'm supposed to dispose of my filter and nose pillows every 2 weeks and I get a 3 months supply from the company that I got my C Pap machine from...also new head gear, hose for the machine and the small hose that connects to the head gear. I wash my head gear in the washing machine in a mesh bag and air dry it...works for me. I don't wash it often, just when I think of it and I leave the fabric covers on the headgear and it doesn't usually come off, but if it does it stays in the mesh bag. Also, the instructions for my machine said to use unscented shampoo or dish detergent to wash all the attachments and the thing that holds the water and I couldn't find the unscented anywhere, so for a while I used just plain vinegar with a 3 parts water, 1 part vinegar ratio...until I discovered that All detergent makes an unscented detergent, so now I'm using that to clean my attachments, etc. in! Sorry this is so long, I ramble sometimes!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 AM

[quote=Riversong]OK, so you will laugh,but I have to share this tip for those who use them. I need a chin strap with my model and I could not find one that I could tolerate. SO,I put a panty liner/mini pad over my mouth at night. It hold my mouth shut,catches the slobbers(yes, we all have them),and it does not hurt when you pull it off. It is very comfortable ! Just use un scented if you have sensitive skin! Ok, you can all laugh now,but it works great for me and might help someone else.
----------------------------------
Thank you for this tip. I will immediately share it with my son, who is a Respiratory Therapist.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 AM

I went through this with my husband, his family were there for him when he could do things with them or for them, but for HIM?
Well, they were sweet and charming and never seen after he was housebound, only visited him once that I was told about in the 3 years he was in a nursing home.

Surprising at how some family did step up to baby sit him while I shopped for groceries..sister and her hubby both stopped in before and after work, still in uniform. Always wondered what the neighbors must have thought.

If you want to talk about this, PM me and we'll chat about tips on bedridden men and hospital beds, etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
I have oily skin, also, so don't notice dryness around my nose. My C Pap has a humidifier and there's a heater in it, but I can't use the heater because the machine starts "sputtering water" if I turn it very high, so I have to turn it down and use it that way. I'm supposed to dispose of my filter and nose pillows every 2 weeks and I get a 3 months supply from the company that I got my C Pap machine from...also new head gear, hose for the machine and the small hose that connects to the head gear. I wash my head gear in the washing machine in a mesh bag and air dry it...works for me. I don't wash it often, just when I think of it and I leave the fabric covers on the headgear and it doesn't usually come off, but if it does it stays in the mesh bag. Also, the instructions for my machine said to use unscented shampoo or dish detergent to wash all the attachments and the thing that holds the water and I couldn't find the unscented anywhere, so for a while I used just plain vinegar with a 3 parts water, 1 part vinegar ratio...until I discovered that All detergent makes an unscented detergent, so now I'm using that to clean my attachments, etc. in! Sorry this is so long, I ramble sometimes!
I would never have thought to wash my gear this way, interesting. I just wash the head gear about once a week by hand in generic baby shampoo; smells so much better than Dawn dish soap, the originally recommended method. I also wash my nose pillows daily in baby shampoo, too. I wash my water reservoir and flex hose about once a week or so, too.

Have you tried putting your CPAP unit below your head, like on a night stand that is some shorter than your head? I used to have "rainout" and this cured the problem.

I wash my face with Neutragena Facial Bar every night and have great luck with this, although my skin is more mixed, not all oily. I do use the Swift FX mask which is just nasal pillows, but it's the best one I've ever used.

Best of luck to you,