Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do when you're not "in love"? >
  • What do you do when you're not "in love"?

• What do you do when you're not "in love"?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by deema
    I added another row of blocks...here it is...
    i think it is very pretty just because you dont like it does not mean mil wont maybe a border with lots of green will bring it together for you my problem is always i hate the fabrics together and i just bite the bullett and start cutting and they usually end up being my favorites.
    Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Deema I think the quilt is going to be beautiful when done. I envy your mil. Wish I had a dil to make me a quilt. She's a very blessed lady. Keep at it.
    Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
    lue

I find that I fall OUT of love with some of my quilts when I'm tired and they don't seem to be completing themselves soon enough. They begin to feel like house guests who stay too long. But I forge ahead anyway and when the quilts are finished, I love them again. I encourage you to hang in there. When you finish it you won't have to deal with the guilt that often accompanies incomplete cycles of action.
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 AM

Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone! I'm definitely going to finish it, I only have 3 more rows to piece and sew to the whole thing. The pattern is starting to show through more, and I do like it more now...the white is still very white...I'm really hoping that with a border and binding it will come together and pull some of that vibrancy out of the white!

I'll post some pics when the top is finished! Shouldn't be too much longer!
    Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 AM

I have made a lot of quilts and some of them turn on me. What I do is to buy the fabric for the quilt plus at least a quarter of a yard more. I make 4 blocks and test the way they look together. If I am not that happy with the look or I just did not have fun making the block. Wala!! A baby quilt/Lap Quilt is born. I always get compliments when I give these as gifts. And I have very few orphan blocks.
    Jarenie
    Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 AM

I have the same problem with a quilt I am making for my MIL. I don't like it, but everyone I have shown it to does, so I am going with it. I think she will like it and will love to have one made by me.
    Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Have someone hold it up for you (or put it on a wall) and then step back from it and look at it. You might be surprised how different it will look than it does lying flat on the floor close up. I made a quilt for a friend and wasn't sure if I was "in love" with it or not and brought it to my quilt class to work on it. At the end of the class when I went to fold it up to leave, my teacher from across the room said how stunning it was. I was surprised at that and she asked me if I had looked at it from a distance with someone holding it vertically. When I said no and she held it up for me to look at from a distance, I had to admit, it was really, really nice. I hope you find the same is true with your quilt! Good luck.
    Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
    Bev

A few years ago I started a quilt that I had bought such beautiful fabric for I could not imagine I wouldn't like the quilt. By the time I finished the top, I literally hated the quilt. Something was wrong, but it wasn't in the piecing because for one of the few times in my life everything went together beautifully. I put the top away and made myself forget about it. Then my two grandsons (early teens) came to visit. The younger one was looking through my UFOs when he came upon that top and literally gasped over it. He insisted I finish it for him. It's been on his bed now for about two years and looks stunning. But, guess what? I still dislike that quilt. I just don't tell HIM that. My best friend tells me it's some kind of karma attached to that quilt that just affects me and no one else. There must be a moral, or a point to this story but I'm not sure what it is. And maybe it's the same with your quilt. Maybe YOU can figure it out. 8-)
    Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by deema
    I added another row of blocks...here it is...
    Oh girl, this is going to be a gorgeous quilt when you are done. I think the advice here, to keep going, is right on. Your MIL is going to love this quilt.

Cheryl
    Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Sounds like you almost have it done, so finish it please. I started a quilt for ds & ddil and I still didn't like it 6 yrs later when I finished it. They loved it. Happened with another quilt I made, just goes to show you everyone's taste is different! Also, I think the colors are beautiful!