Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 AM

I actually have my own craft room now that the kids are all grown up, but since my GD has come in to my life it stays cleaner than usual so that she can enjoy my space also. In the summer it is one of the cooler rooms and it seems that we end up there more and more. Pretty messy right now as I am working on Christmas cards and another hankerchief quilt.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 AM

My "sewing Room" is the 2nd bedroom in a very small mobile home. Barely 8 by 12, with a twin bed, it doubles as the guest room....When that happens I have to pack up whatever I have out and stow it in the closet. I have my stash in rubbermaid totes in the closet....I hate guests....
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 AM

The smallest of our three bedrooms.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:50 AM

Ladies, a tip... if you buy the folding tables for cutting or pinning quilts, add risers to the legs. Some use a PVC pipe, have hubby help you decide how high is comfortable for you so you save your back... some also use a fence post with a little drilled in hole to catch the leg. I like PVC as I can take them with to a class and give a 'lift' to a table for everyone to use on cutting.

They also have smaller tables to buy, especially Sam's Club, and you could put risers on those in a bedroom...of course they have those nice high cutting tables with fold down leaves, nice to get out of the way after your initial fabric cutting, I got one with a JoAnn coupon, also my craft table with JoAnn's coupons when they used to have 50%, seems now it's all 40%, economy hitting everyone.

Then we have an apartment where my husband works, and I have a couple smaller tables that collapse from WM, perfect as they also height adjust just right for sewing machine level (again, save that back & shoulders from strain).

The Avg. quilter only gets in 3 hrs because of improper height to machine (sitting) or cutting (standing)..your iron board adjusts height. It's important to have 'tools' even surfaces that adjust if your 5'2" or 5'10", if your body is comfortable, you can spend all day quilting, more productive, less pain at the end. I can quilt easily a 12-16 hr day..often forget meals until 4:00pm for a breakfast/lunch...9-10:00pm for a supper...just get so caught up in quilting or projects, forget meals since I'm alone 99% of the time. Hubby works 4 hrs from here, oil field, so not home much.

Has anyone tried those irons that have a push down, pops up on a stem/leg so you don't have to 'stand it up' on it's end? Can't think of the name just now...curious what you think of it if you have one or know someone.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM

My sewing area is in my dining room - a good friend of mine helped me install the shelving and curtain. Materials cost under $100. I love it! Of course, it doesn't usually look this neat...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100092.jpe   attachment-100093.jpe  
Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 AM

I took over the family room for my studio/sewing room. I have many years to wait before I can move upstairs to one of the boys rooms. But that's ok. I like being in the heart of the house. :)
Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 AM

Mine is the sunroom. I have windows on three sides so I get great natural light. It's off the living room but I have sheers across the opening I can close to kind of hid the clutter.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 AM

I have a folding table set up in the back window of our 5th wheel with a 3-drawer plastic set of drawers for extra table space. My fabric stash is under the bed and WIP are stored in craft bins. Every time someone comes to visit, the stuff gets hauled up to the bed. We host for Oregon State Parks but we get to settle for a couple of months at a time. But we're thinking of moving back to Arizona and that is two musts for the new house -- a sewing room big enough so that I can find things and a door to close.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 AM

I am blessed to have a whole room for my sewing! It's a little small, but it's MINE!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 AM

My daughter has an older house with an upstairs sunrm, and it's her sewing studio, she designs clothes, and off of it is their TV rm, but they also have their living rm (TV)downstairs, no kids yet, they have the nursery ready & a guest rm, nice big old house..working on remodels and repairs for the old place.
The other daughter 'curtained' off a 1/4 of her bedrm for sewing/crafts, and totes in their closet. She has a nice home, but 4 kids and no basement, no spare space.

We have an apartment where my husband works (double expenses, oil field town and our home here). When I'm there, we have a spare bedrm, but it has a q bed and no extra space except I store in the closet..yes, even things up there now. I sew at one end of the dining tble, and have a folding table beside me too. I know both ends... spare bedrm as my home sewing rm, kitchen at the apartment...raising our 5 kids in a 3 bedrm, I sewn on the dining tble also, and after they went to bed, until 2-3am, night owl.

We appreciate what we gain from what we've survived... and we dream, always nice to dream too.