Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM

I can't make the show, but is there plenty to do in Paducah anyway? I know there is a museum, Hancocks and Elanor Burns.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
I plan on going this year but someone told me that I can see the same fabric online and close up better than being at the show. Any comments?
Never been, but is on my want to do list
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree eith you complrty.My dh andI GO AT OUR OWN PACE AND SEE WHAT EVER WE WANT AS MANY TIMES AS WE WANT.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzie151
I went to the one in Lancaster for the first time. I had been told by several shop owners that it was not the best, but I had a wonderful time. I stayed at a hotel that was on the quilt show bus route. I came as close to shopping til I dropped, as you could go and not really drop. It was great but I don't have anything ti compare it to. I live about an hour and a half from Lancaster but I like to stay a few days.There is so much to do there.
When is there one in lancaster, its not far from me unless its a different lancaster than the one in california
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Dates for the show are April 27-30. Go, go, go! A unique experence. This will be my fifth year going to Paducah. I usually go on Sunday (5 hour drive) so I can take a class from Eleanor Burns on Monday. (Her classes are after the show this year.) Tuesday go to the Visitor's Bureau for a map & other info, the Quilt Museum, Hancock's of Paducah, Eleanor Burns Quilt Shop and tent at the park. Wednesday: Quilt Show and vendors on side streets. Thursday: Antique Quilts, Hoffman Challenge & Vendors at the Rotary Club then the vendors at the Convention Center. Quilts and vendors are also at the mall. I usually leave on Friday after I go to anyplace I have missed. If you take any classes, you will need more time unless you can do more than I can each day. Eleanor Burns takes 50 cents off per yard of a different color fabric each day at the park tent and downtown (not same color at each place) & her prices are good. Hobby Lobby brings in tons of fabric. I bought some a couple of years ago for $2 a yard. For $25, you can go to see the quilts on Tuesday evening. Keep calling the hotels (not 800#) as they have cancellations, or stay with a local family or a hotel out of Paducah. The web site has lots of good info. Bring lots of $$$ & good walking shoes and have fun.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I went last year and it was amazing. I went on a bus through the LQS, but plan to drive this year so the time constrant is not an issue. It is a definate if you can make it.Well worth the time.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM

I would love to be able to go! I am sure everything is much better in person than on TV or the printed page! :D
Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 AM

Been once to show @ Paducah. Next time I'll spend more time with quilts and in classes than with the vendors.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
I plan on going this year but someone told me that I can see the same fabric online and close up better than being at the show. Any comments?
I've never been there (and probably never will be) but I would think just being there would be great. Then come home and shop online. I love to shop and feel the fabric. Buying is another story.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM

It is really an opportunity to see the best of the best quilts in the world. Just to see the talent and skills of these amazing quilters is a treat. No picture can capture the detail. Of course the vendors are great. Sometimes I get a little discouraged looking at beautiful quilt after beautiful quilt. I try to compare my work with their's and it's like comparing a finger painting by a two year old to a Monet! So I have to shop to soothe my soul;). I need to do a lot less soothing and a lot more PPP.