Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 AM

Love the tumblers, Rryder. (I've wanted to do one and haven't yet.) Also, the contrasting quilting is a great idea. Toot Toot on another finish!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Okay, I'm calling this finished for now. Although I may end up deciding to add some FMQ in at some point, but I can't decide so I went ahead and bound it. It will be in the show I've got coming up at the end of March.

Rob
Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 PM

That's a beautiful quilt carriem! And the tumblers reminded me of another UFO I have. Good job on it rryder..I like seeing how you quilted it...gives me ideas.

Last edited by kiffie2413; 03-05-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Started this a couple of years ago and used the angle rulers. Runner and table mat finished[ATTACH=CONFIG]544089[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails march-swaps-mysteries-010.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Another two finishes. Great job, Jaba, congratulations! Toot, Toot![QUOTE=jaba;7485242]Started this a couple of years ago and used the angle rulers. Runner and table mat finished[ATTACH=CONFIG]544089[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2016, 04:32 AM

I love your definition of UFO's it lets beginning quilters be a part of our challenge as well and I think the more the merrier.

I've been working on improving my sashing/border skills. I have this marvelous book called, "The Quilter's Album of Blocks and Borders:more than 750 geometric designs illustrated and categorized for easy identification and drafting." by Jinny Beyer, copyright 1980 and 1986. I love this reference book.

I was using it this morning to choose a frame for a Pet BOM I'm doing with my quilt club.

And I'm practicing my fmq'ing following a ribbon design for the lighted christmas wreath wall hanging.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 AM

I need a push. This quilt top finally got finished a few weeks ago. And I *really* need to suck it up and put it on the longarm to quilt (custom). But I don't wanna! (cue 2-year old tempter trantrum ) Anyone got some go-juice that will get me over this hump?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1240641.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 AM

jaba, I love the blues in your runner and mat. They look like a tropical ocean.

Krista, is it because you're not sure how you want to quilt it? It's so beautiful!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I've been organizing in my quilt space. I found 5 UFO'S to finish...not the only ones I have, mind you. All are full size quilts or larger made from scraps and stash. I paired batting and backing as well as assessed what needs to be done.
1. Finished the outer border on scrap HST quilt. I was short of border fabric so instead of piecing it, I made a broken dish block from left over corner snowball triangles. Pieced the backing, too. Need to cut binding, but have fabric with the quilt.
2. KT 4P on point...still need to sew the rows together and cut and sew bordersbut have the 3 B's for it...binding, backing and batting.
3. Growing up Odd quilt...just need layer and quilt. Need to find binding.
4. Modified Log Cabin...sew rows together cut border and binding.
5. Crazy Ponies...cut and add last 2 borders with cornerstones..binding is cut...working on this one now.

My goal is to get these done this year...as I will be quilting them on my DM and not sending them out. Wish me luck..

Just saw Krista's quilt...just think how fast you can get this sewn with your long arm and how much easier it is to handle...you'll get it done...

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-06-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:56 AM

Those are really neat Jaba.

Krista, do you have a deadline for finishing it? If not, maybe your "I don't wanna" is because you need to let it percolate for a little while---before going to the next step. Nothing wrong with that. It's beautiful and I can imagine that when you do get it quilted it will be magnificent.

Rob
Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Those are really neat Jaba.

Krista, do you have a deadline for finishing it? If not, maybe your "I don't wanna" is because you need to let it percolate for a little while---before going to the next step. Nothing wrong with that. It's beautiful and I can imagine that when you do get it quilted it will be magnificent.

Rob
it's been percolating for 4 years The only deadline is my own - I would really like to get it done and off my list (not that I don't have 30 others I could work on instead). I have half a design in mind, and I'm hoping the rest of it will appear while I'm working on the bits I know what to do with.

But now you all have me wondering if I should just grab an easy one out of the pile and quilt it instead, while I contemplate this one a bit longer.