Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Rryder - Great March finished. The tumbler turned out very well. Personally I don't think I would add any more quilting. Also your final art piece is great; I love the way you incorporated the USB cord. When is your show? Are you actually selling any of your pieces.

Jaba - What a great table runner and mat. I love the colors.

Sweetwaterquilter - Congratulations on finishing the throw. Good luck with the knee surgery.

OhCanada - What great place-mats. Congratulations on getting them completed.

Kristakz - That is beautiful, too pretty to go back into the UFO pile
Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Rryder - Great March finished. The tumbler turned out very well. Personally I don't think I would add any more quilting. Also your final art piece is great; I love the way you incorporated the USB cord. When is your show? Are you actually selling any of your pieces.

Thanks Anoka. I think I agree with you on the tumbler. I'm just so used to doing a lot of FMQ on my quilts that it's hard for me to leave it be if you know what I mean. The last art piece became fun to do after I put on the USB cord--prior to that I just couldn't decide what to do with it. Then I felt freed up to do other stuff to it, so it got some FMQ bobbin work added using Superior threads Razzle Dazzle--that doesn't show up too well in the photo, but all the spirals and those odd little zig-saggy lines that go here and there are Razzle Dazzle. It was the first time I tried doing bobbin work and I have to say I really enjoyed it, though it would have been easier if I'd done that before putting the USB cord and that brown ribbon on. I may try doing bobbin work with my machine that has decorative stitches just to see how that works out--maybe that'll be something for next year's UFO challenge LOL!

The show opens on the 4th Friday in March at artspace gallery in Richmond, VA. Here's a link to the gallery's website, just click on the exhibitions tab and then the "future exhibitions" tab: artspacegallery.org

Yes, they are for sale. I've had similar pieces in group shows in the past, but never done a solo show with my fiber art.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:12 PM

I am so happy for you to be having your own show Rob, and wish you the best of luck and lots of sales. In no time at all we will be saying we knew you when!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 PM

rryder, remember to take pictures and send them to us all. If I wasn't in MN and was closer I would come to the show.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Krista, if it were me and I didn't know quite what to do yet, take an easy one out of the pile, do it, leave this beautiful one hanging out so you can look at it as you walk by, but be sure you can see it. Then, bam, an inspiration will hit you. The Lisa Calle designing is fun and you can get inspiration that way. Also, do a little pintrest searching for the pattern and you will see something. That is what I have to do at times to get moving on a quilting project. Or you can do the stencil search and look at quilting ideas. Is it "What to quilt" that is getting you? DO you feel it is not finished pieced? I like the border idea that was presented.
Alas, I am a bit stuck as well. I ended up with two drunkard path quilts. Found two different layouts, they are sewn but now to find a border for one. I also need some time to design the quilting on 18" squares. Yep, they ended up that big. Think I will go and search out some stencil designs that might work.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Yay March finishes! Well done rryder.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Woohoo! Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I ended up googling some quilting ideas, and found one I loved. So here it is! Quilting done, and I added a red piping to frame it a bit, because it was feeling a bit lost in the background. So glad I didn't let this one go back into the UFO pile! This photo isn't great for showing the quilting, since it's getting dark and I had to use flash on it. Second photo is a better closeup of the quilting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544342[/ATTACH]

And a closeup of some of the quilting. I wanted the design to pop, so I quilted the background densely and left the red areas and 3D pieces unquilted (just outlined them).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544343[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3080714.jpg   p3060711.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Wow Krista - you hit the ball out of the park with the quilting! Very unique quilt with the 3D pieces.

Rob - good luck with the show. That last art piece is fun and playful, what a great addition!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:10 PM

Wow Krista! What a nice job.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM

OhCanada, Love your placemats.