Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 AM

Woo woo Janice! Nice.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Rryder - that is really pretty. Going to have to give something like this a try this year.

Toot, Toot for our fearless leader. Janice I love your red and white courthouse step quilt.

I too am not familiar with zentangle. Will have to google it.

My goal for this month is to finish my king size quilt. I got the main body of it all together this weekend. I have the pieced border and regular border to go. Then will just need to be quilt and bound.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 AM

For January I finished two doll quilts. I thought it'd be three, but I'm not happy with the binding on #3. So it goes back on my UFO list till I feel like messing with the troublemaker again.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:55 AM

I would love to join. I also have between 5 and 25 UFO's. OK maybe 15-???.. One step at a time!
I am starting tomorrow..
Old 02-01-2016, 11:53 AM

CraftsbyGloria, jump aboard! We're speeding down the tracks into February now. You've got it...one step at a time! Don't hesitate to post an "in progress" pic so everyone can ooh and ahh and provide just a bit more of a boost to keep you going.

Welcome!

Originally Posted by craftsbygloria View Post
I would love to join. I also have between 5 and 25 UFO's. OK maybe 15-???.. One step at a time!
I am starting tomorrow..
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 AM

OK, Zozee, two UFO finishes! Wonderful! Toot, Toot for you! I'll add that in to January's total. Did you take any pix? Not necessary but we love to see the completed projects!
Originally Posted by zozee View Post
For January I finished two doll quilts. I thought it'd be three, but I'm not happy with the binding on #3. So it goes back on my UFO list till I feel like messing with the troublemaker again.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
OK, Zozee, two UFO finishes! Wonderful! Toot, Toot for you! I'll add that in to January's total. Did you take any pix? Not necessary but we love to see the completed projects!
Thanks. No, I haven't taken pics yet. I'm really bad about posting them. I'll see what I can do to improve my track record in that area.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM

Rob, I love your third finish!
For some reason, it makes me think of when Mt. Saint Helen blew her stack, and that river of ash just cut through everything.

Well, I decided NOT to add anything else to the "Daughter" quilt. Took it to her this weekend, and she loved it, loved the colors, and she actually said "I'm glad you didn't do a lot of stitching on this one-it keeps my focus on the message and the colors".

When we got home Sunday afternoon, I finished re-assembling "Glory" (the red/white/blue sort-of-log-cabin). Now all I have to do is add the two borders, and I'll have another flimsy. I'll post pics once I get the borders on. This one has really gotten on my nerves - what with the poorly written instructions (wasn't very clear on which was the mostly red block and which was the mostly blue block), the color arrangement does not make me happy. Add to that where I was looking at the wrong setting (twin, instead of queen), and then the last corner on the last row just kept getting turned around, I'm really tired of looking at it. I'll probably just do a panto on this to get it out of my way, then list it for sale on my Etsy site. I plan on getting the borders on, then working on an entirely different UFO. Like I said, "Glory" really got on my nerves. One thing I did remember to do was pre-wash the deep red batik backing that will be on Glory. Of the three flimsies, one is a large wall hanging size, one is about twin sized, and Glory is queen sized.

So, my "official" count for January is 4 finishes. I have 3 flimsies (counting Glory) queued up, but I think I'll look at the next UFO on my list. But, now that I think about it, I know I have a Lone Star that I need to frog (major tension issues) then load back on the frame. I think that will be my next one. I can frog while watching the TV with hubby, and get a little time with him.

We went to Raleigh this weekend, and got to see my grandbaby. His name is Oakley, and he's 19 months old. So, here's a pic to make you smile...
Attached Thumbnails oakley-dinner.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Looks good from here, Engineer J....

While watching Sunday night shows I took down my Christmas tree...then trimmed some HST'S that are from trimmed corners...they measure 1 3/4" unfinished..one side is a light tan, the others a deep red, blue with tan stars, and other patriotic prints...not sure what the plan is for these.....
Love the comment about the Christmas tree!! One year, our tree came down on VALENTINE'S DAY!!! So, I completely understand!!
As to what to do with HST's... well, you can always do an Ocean Waves quilt (but I don't recommend it - that's actually one of my UFO's - shudder & cringe). Or you could pretend they are teeny-tiny, eensy-weensy log cabin blocks and make a HST version of a "Barn Raising" quilt. And I forget which one, but I remember seeing a Bonnie Hunter quilt with a gazillion HST's.
There.
Now you have some ideas for those HST's.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Yes I do, I finished 6 UFOs this month. I did four other quilts as well, but were not ufos. My goal is getting four done per month, and I surpassed it. Yippee!!! Six down and 46 to go for my goal.