Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-30-2016, 08:28 PM

This is the site for me this year! A couple weeks ago I counted the UFO's on two quilt racks I have upstairs - these are ready to quilt, some with backing and batting already cut, many that I have to do this step - I had 46 UFO's! These are anywhere from wallhangings or table runners to queen-size quilts. The larger ones I will send out to a long armer. I started finishing a few in the last couple weeks and will post pictures when I get them downloaded to my computer. After I finished 3, I made 4 more tops just this last week.:-) I love the creative process and always want to see what the next top will look like so I just can't seem to keep myself from starting new ones (and dreaming about what I'm going to make next). This count doesn't include the labeled boxes stacked in my closet with quilts I have started, only those that are ready to go. It's kind of overwhelming when I see how many I have to finish, but it's not stopping me from making new ones. The problem I have now is that the repetitive use of my knee lift on my Bernina has caused incredible pain in my inguinal ligament (top of the thigh) and some days I can barely walk. Dang! Will have to pace myself and take some time to do some more embroidery. Looking forward to seeing how everyone does with this challenge!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 PM

/Users/Gloria/Desktop/IMG_6225.jpg/Users/Gloria/Desktop/IMG_6164.jpg/Users/Gloria/Desktop/IMG_6183.jpg
Old 01-31-2016, 05:26 AM

Welcome, Glojean48, and hop aboard the UFO Challenge train! I can guarantee you there are plenty of quilters with as many UFOs as you've mentioned. However, they haven't found this thread but you have. I hope you'll find inspiration here to turn some (all???) into finished quilts. I'm sorry to hear about your leg but if you bind quilts by hand, it sounds like the time to take the pressure off of it and do some hand work and bind some of those quilts.

Please scroll back through the pages for pix of other finishes. It doesn't matter how they are finished as long as they are done!

Welcome!

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-31-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Finish #3

Here's my third finish for 2016

Rob
Attached Thumbnails finished-ufo-3-2016.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Rob, I love seeing your creativity come to life.

I didn't finish any quilts in January but I finished the whirligig top and I put the borders on the largest center I ever had. I have some triangles left from the whirligig so I sewed them into the backing to spruce it up a bit. I do feel somewhat accomplished. DH also picked out the backing for his desk runners. Those will be next - they are small-ish. Hoping February will be more productive.

Now I am getting ready for a zentangle class. Of course I am looking at that for quilting purposes as well.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 01-31-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM

Can a UFO be fabric that I already cut out and put in a box with the pattern to get back to later? If so I have about 6 boxes of precut fabrics with everything needed in separate boxes just waiting for me to work on. Batting not included, but precut binding ready to go and a couple with the backing included!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Rob, I love seeing your creativity come to life.

I didn't finish any quilts in January but I finished the whirligig top and I put the borders on the largest center I ever had. I have some triangles left from the whirligig so I sewed them into the backing to spruce it up a bit. I do feel somewhat accomplished. DH also picked out the backing for his desk runners. Those will be next - they are small-ish. Hoping February will be more productive.

Now I am getting ready for a zentangle class. Of course I am looking at that for quilting purposes as well.
Oh I hope you share your zentangle treasures with us on a thread for that after your class!!! I wish there would be a class near me.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Can a UFO be fabric that I already cut out and put in a box with the pattern to get back to later? If so I have about 6 boxes of precut fabrics with everything needed in separate boxes just waiting for me to work on. Batting not included, but precut binding ready to go and a couple with the backing included!
Since I love the piecing the most, I think you are sitting with a treasure trove!! Lucky you.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:06 PM

Pyffer3, Hmmm...well if you cut it out and then put it away for a long period of time, that would meet my personal requirements for a UFO. If you cut it out last week, I'd say it's not a UFO. Remember, the final call on what is, or is not, a UFO is yours. I don't want to be the UFO police so just use your personal opinion on it. Not everyone will agree but yours is the one that counts. If you tell me it's a UFO, it's a UFO.
Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM

Rob, that's just beautiful. My favorite one so far. Is that done on the machine or by hand or both? Beautiful!

Well, after my one finish early in the month, I have worked on getting some projects set up to finish. Like sandwiching, purchasing backings, bindings, etc. Also made one Project Linus quilt, but that wasn't a UFO. Have reconnected with the PL group around here and am looking forward to making some more for the kids. Lots of satisfaction in that.

Everyone seems to be doing so well. I'm so glad we have this thread to encourage each other. Janice McC: glad you're back and hope you're feeling chipper!