Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 AM

travelinggramma those are wonderful. Thanks for info on blue heaven block. The tie and t shirt will be a great comfort. Love what you did with the ties.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM

Good job on the swap quilt and the t-shirt/tie quilt. I like the addition of the ties to the t-shirt quilt they add a lot of visual interest at the corners.

Rob
Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
It is only one 12" block found at...
http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MyBlueHeavenBlock.html
Thanks....I can see this in so many different ways....Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Fantastic job quilting, Krista! I love the red piping you did. Are the curvy triangles 3D or is that an optical illusion? Way cool quilt!

Rob
Thanks Rob! The curvy triangles are 3D. You fold a square in half diagonally, and then sew it into the edge of the block during assembly. The folded edge then floats, and it is folded back and (hand)stitched to make the curve (kind of like a cathedral window). The quilt took 4 1/2 years - very quick to assemble, but the handstitching took me years to finish, because I hate doing that. And then the quilting - hardest part was staying away from those floating edges
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Krista, your quilt is just amazing and stunning and totally awesome!!! love the 3d effects and that piping just finished it off and made the quilt as a whole a big winner!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM

Wow Kristkz, that is beautiful, the quilting looks great, and the piping border does really frame the piece.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM

You did a lovely job with the T-shirts and ties, travelinggramma. Congratulations on your other finish, too, and on everyone's beautiful finishes. Krista, I'm so glad you posted that close-up photo. That is truly a beauty.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 PM

Travelingfrandmma, congratulations on the finish of the blue/white quilt. It is a very stunning quilt and I am g uessing you don't see the backing fabric when it is lying on a surface.

The T-shirt quilt turned out very nice, and as others have said the ties in the corner really seems to pull it together and are a really nice touch.

I am amazed at all you do get done as you travel the country in your traveling home.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Here's my 2nd UFO for March, finished YAY! It's only been sitting around for 4 years LOL! I think this is the last of the funky ones for the show. The rest will mostly be more traditional quilts--and I've got plenty of them to keep me busy LOL!

Rob
Rob, I REALLY like this one!! The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this is a "haute couture" house - it looks like there is a dress designer going crazy fitting unique dresses on mannequins!!

Leta
Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Travelingframma, I love how the ties completely change the personality of your t-shirt quilt!! I'm going to show this to a friend of mine who does a lot of t-shirt quilts, I think she will like this new idea!

OMG, Krista!!! In your earlier pics, I did not realize you had that 3D effect in your red and white quilt!! That is so awesome, and the piping just completely adds that last little "ZING". I can just imagine how much of a struggle it was to quilt around those little floating edges!!

Leta