Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Making progress in the sewing room...sewed the last two borders on the Crazy Ponies quilt mentioned earlier...trying to think of how to quilt this..it's 74" square.

I'm thinking of investing in a walking foot...I've never had one and use one occasionally at work. I've hesitated in buying one as my Bernina is over 15 years old. Not quite ready to buy a new machine yet...I'm going to bite the bullet as DIL has a much newer Bernina and I can give the foot to her when I replace my machine...waiting on a sale at the local dealer...
Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Everyone is really doing wonderful for 2016 and Janice, you are a superb engineer, keeping us all updated so well. I have just today begun FMQ'ing (or trying) the Star quilt that I took a class on last October. I am still learning about FMQ and only have my DSM so it is going slowly, especially since it is the size of the top of a double bed. Fortunately, I am just doing a large meander so as not to distract from the layout of the quilt. I can only go so far and then the top thread breaks so it might take me a while but hope to have this done for the count this month. Love seeing everyone's finishes. All the pictures are wonderful!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM

i'm down to cutting out the slits to put the lights through and then couching the wire on the back. Can't wait to get it finished. I'm excited about this one.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Rob, I REALLY like this one!! The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this is a "haute couture" house - it looks like there is a dress designer going crazy fitting unique dresses on mannequins!!

Leta
Thanks Leta, I have to admit that at the beginning of March I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do with this one. The pieced part was an experiment that I started 4 or 5 years ago and decided I didn't like it, which is why it ended up in the UFO pile LOL. It wasn't until I decided to put the USB cord on it that it came together LOL

Rob
Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Those ties are great on the quilt. My Dad wore ties for years and had so many, I wanted them so bad to make wall hangings for his grand children and myself but it didn't happen. His wife gave them all away
Another finish for this month and a very good thing...new grandbaby is going to be a little girl, due in August. Found some of the squares in a drawer while I was cleaning out, sewn but not put together. Decided to make a donation quilt, didn't know at the time it would be for my grand daughter[ATTACH=CONFIG]544479[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 PM

Another little UFO finish for March. I needed to take a break from the hand quilting - but hopefully that one will be done by the end of the month as well
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Those ties are great on the quilt. My Dad wore ties for years and had so many, I wanted them so bad to make wall hangings for his grand children and myself but it didn't happen. His wife gave them all away
Another finish for this month and a very good thing...new grandbaby is going to be a little girl, due in August. Found some of the squares in a drawer while I was cleaning out, sewn but not put together. Decided to make a donation quilt, didn't know at the timetable it would be for my grand daughter[ATTACH=CONFIG]544479[/ATTACH]
Very pretty jaba - the border of triangles is neat - looks very time consuming to do, was it difficult?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
I'm on a roll, I grabbed these placemats from the UFO box last week and completed them today. They were all sandwiched and ready for some quilting and binding. The one on the bottom left corner was the only one that had been finished. I had cut and sewn on bias binding because I thought that the diamonds would look nice, but I did the rest the easier way and I think I prefer the checkerboard look. The other thing I simplified was the quilting in the border. The more complex pattern on the bottom left one was lost in the busy fabric, so not worth the effort. I learn something new with each project I tackle, I like that. My next UFO to tackle is to finish hand quilting a full sized bed quilt.
OhCanada...I really like these...would look perfect in my house until one comes to the cow...I need a Guernsey...
Old 03-11-2016, 06:30 AM

Toot, Toot TravelingGramma for these two UFO finishes. Love the blue and white quilt but the one made from your daugher's FIL's shirts and ties is extra special. Will you be giving it to her or perhaps your daughter's MIL?

[travelinggramma;7488971]The blue and white quilt was from a swap last year. I had gotten it put together, than it sat to be quilted, and sat to binded, and sat to be washed. But it is done - YEA...oh my - just realized that you can see the striped fabric on the back as I only used a flannel sheet for batting.
My daughters FIL passed in September so she brings me a bag with tshirts and ties. I have been playing with them ever since. without a wall in my home on wheels this is difficult. But I am so happy the way it ended up.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 AM

Sandy, Thanks for the nice comments. As for fmq, it's the bane of my quilting existence. I'm still learning to straight-line quilt to my satisfaction. Thinking of FMQ gives me palpitations.
Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Everyone is really doing wonderful for 2016 and Janice, you are a superb engineer, keeping us all updated so well. I have just today begun FMQ'ing (or trying) the Star quilt that I took a class on last October. I am still learning about FMQ and only have my DSM so it is going slowly, especially since it is the size of the top of a double bed. Fortunately, I am just doing a large meander so as not to distract from the layout of the quilt. I can only go so far and then the top thread breaks so it might take me a while but hope to have this done for the count this month. Love seeing everyone's finishes. All the pictures are wonderful!