Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 PM

Another UFO finish. Congratulations, Jaba! Toot, Toot. Like many others, I'm quickly being convinced I've underrated orange. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Finally got the binding on these two. Have one more that is just about done, other half of binding to go . The orange one has been sitting around forever and need the purple one finished for a new grand daughter.[ATTACH=CONFIG]545676[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545677[/ATTACH]
Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 PM

Oh, Rryder, this is terrific! Congratulations and Toot, Toot on the Jacob's Ladder finish! Beautiful pattern and colors. Nice!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I finally finished the Jacob's ladder UFO that's been sitting around for a year or so. I quilted little circles and triangles all over it which don't really show up in the photos....
Old 03-23-2016, 05:50 PM

And here are two more UFO finishes for Anoka Quilter. Toot, Toot! Congratulations on your finishes and for keeping this train moving along! The red/green is quite pretty.

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
I have two finished UFO's so far this month.

Back in April of 2008 a few of us formed a sewing circle and had a crazy idea of making a banner for our little group. Because we always met at my house, and my front yard had 3 large Silver Oak trees, we decided to name our little group the Circle of the Silver Oak. One of the members was an artist and drew up the design. We used the crayon method to color the tree and that was all that was completed. In looking for some fabric for another project I found the banner folded between some other fabrics. This is the fabric that was used for the borders and that must have been our thought process at the time because of how all the fabric was together with focal piece. I added the borders, did some simple stitch in the ditch quilting, added my hanger, and got the binding all done. One member of the original group still sews on a weekly basis with me. I cannot wait till next week when we get together and she sees the banner.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545809[/ATTACH]

In September of 2007 one of the local pattern designers, Diane Caruso, held a pattern testing workshop for her new design, Shoo Fly Pie, at one of the LQS. I had everything done except the final dark green border, the quilting, and binding. In 2016 when the holidays roll around this quilt will be ready.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545810[/ATTACH]
Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
I keep finding more UFO's too. I went into a tub last night to get out the project I really want to complete next month so I can see exactly where I am at with it and found two UFO table runners that I forgot all about. I am beginning to scare myself with the number of UFO's I am finding. With 8 completed so far, and number 9 close to being completed I am becoming afraid to know the true number.
I can feel your pain, Anoka Quilter!! Which is why I'm only looking at the totes that are under my longarm and the boxes on my bookshelf. I shudder to think what's in the 6 totes in my closet.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
Here's a teaser of the UFO that I've been working hard on all month - still have 50% of the border to complete. So I don't think it'll be a March finish, especially if I run out of the ecru quilting thread I'm using. I won't be able to buy any locally so I'll have to add it to my next shipment from home. I'm getting a little antsy, want to play with fabric and my machine. So do I start a new project or work on another quilt which has been partially started...
OhCanada, I love, Love, LOVE the cable/feather border stitching on this!! Way cool idea!!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM

jaba, I'm not usually much of an "orange" person either, but yours is GORGEOUS!! And making me re-think orange.
Previously, orange just said "Halloween" to me - and I HATE Halloween.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I am so inspired by the everyone's finishes. Anoka, it sounds like a lot of fun to have a group of people to sew with -a they're sure to love the tree quilt, great finish on the red and green. I love the pattern.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-24-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Anoka not Anika
Old 03-24-2016, 01:49 PM

We do have a lot of fun sewing together. We all kind of motivate each other and we all learn from each other. We try to get together at least once a week during fall, winter and spring. Summer is hard because everyone has other things they want to be doing. But then again summer in MN is only for about 3 months so we have 9 good months of sewing out of 12.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM

I finished the top of my FARM GIRL VINTAGE quilt by Lori Holt this afternoon and brought it to be quilted and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I need it for our NBQA quilt show on April 23 and 24. So I will be sewing the binding on 24 hours from now. I used 1930's prints and I am so happy with the result. I wish I could send a picture but if you are familiar with the book, you have a good idea of what my quilt looks like. So even though I need to sew the binding, the quilt will be done before the end of the month. So can I call it a finish?

I enjoy looking at everyone's finishes. All beautiful and great inspiration.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Blue Bell, can't wait to see pictures. Wow, a quilter that has 24 hour turn around, I don't think even I could do that one.

Speaking of quilters, my king size is on the frame, and I am hoping to get it all quilted and the binding machine stitched so I can finish up the hand stitching. My goal is to have this one done before the end of the month. No plans for the weekend, so I am hoping to get a lot of sewing time in.