Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone seen a woven quilt or a frame to make one? >

Has anyone seen a woven quilt or a frame to make one?

Has anyone seen a woven quilt or a frame to make one?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 AM

I make special requests for the customers that come to my site, but this one I am having a hard time understanding, since I have never seen a woven quilt. Any input is appreciated from the board members here.
Thanks,
Harry Barnett

This is the email I received...
I want to not only quilt But do what I call a weaving quilt where you actually weave the fabrics, or threads first like a woven rug, I seen your quilt rack in the back on the video and was wondering could you build a weeaving type quilting device like this, thats mobile either adjustable height and tiltable, or a lap top version to accomodate people like myself that are disabled and cant stand a long time or get down in the floor like needed?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 AM

WOW! The only thing I can think of is like the old weaver's frames. Can't see where something like that could ever be portable. As far as weaving strips of fabric, the only thing I can think of doing is say get 2 finish boards and put a sleeve over each of them with an edge to pin to. Sorta like what a long armer would use to pin quilts to. She could then attach length strips with pins to secure and then weave her horizontals.

Sorry all I could think of.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 AM

Once I saw an idea where someone used a hoola hoop for a loom. I wanted to make a round rug so I found one at a garage sale , my favorite place to shop, haha. I wove the strips back and forth like a spiders web then round the inner circle. It would have been great if I had not used stretchy tshirt fabric. When I finished, I had a big cup.The trick is not to pull the fabric too tight. It was still a fun project. I love to try new things.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

My DH made a gigantic weaving loom based on those small pot holder loop weaving looms you make pot holders on for kids. My DD 13 uses it to weave strips of craft fabric that are not suitable for quilting into small floor rugs.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 AM

I have used those little pot holder looms as a kid. I guess I am confused on how to make it for fabrics for quilting. Should I replace the little hooks with a giant pin strip on all four sides, kind of like what you find on a hand quilters border hoop?

Harry
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Harry, What about slots made with a biscuit cutter , about 2 1/2 to 3 inch, spaced evenly all four sides? That would keep strips laying flat Maybe use tubing to clamp ove the rail to hold strips securely?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

About a decade or so ago, Judy Murrah wrote Jacket Jazz, remember?

One of the techniques in one of those books was done with strips about 1" wide woven under/over/under to create the fabric of the quilt.

Another idea that comes to mind is the book: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Stunnin.../dp/1571204520

Your customer may have seen this. Look at the "inside of the book where the simple instructions are...a "weaving pad" is mentioned.

Jan in VA
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

There is post about the weaved quilt here. I posted a pic of the quilt on a frame or something I forgot. The pattern was in a quilt trade magazine that quilt shops can use for free give away patterns with fabric purchase or hold a workshop to make the pattern. The quilt is woven. I'll see if I can find the post. It's been a long time.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM

You can purchase (or you may already have) portable ironing boards with the traditional one inch grid on them. Use this by pinning strips going one direction at both top and bottom to hold the strips taut (for the warp) and weaving strips for the woof going in the other direction. In addition, if you place a sheet of lightweight fusible interfacing on the base before you start your weaving (glue side up, obviously) you can press your woven pattern in place once you've finished your design.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM

If you want photos, check Google images for "woven quilts".